2001 Ford Escape Axle, strut, shocks or something in that a

JAYKAY123
  • 2001 FORD ESCAPE
I have a 2001 Ford Escape XLT. In the past few weeks it has been making a noise - coming from the front driver side tire area - that sounds like a creeky door. It does NOT make this noise when braking, and it doesn't matter what the weather is. Once the car is going above 35-40 mph, the sound goes away. It's also more prominent when driving over rougher terrain, like a road with potholes or bumps in it. Could this be an axle, strut, shock type of problem? I've had bad wheel bearings and ball joints on other cars, and this doesn't seem like that would be it. Any thoughts?
Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 12:43 PM

BMRFIXIT
Most common and I would suspect a bad outer tie rod end and or lower ball joint
move the wheel side to side
and than jack wheel up move the wheel side to side does the noise go away
until start driving again
check it out and let me know
-1
Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 9:50 PM
ADRONDUBE
I have the same kind of problem. I am thinking it's a really screwed up CV Joint. Basically at low speed, particularly when taking off and even when braking, but most notably when turning at low speeds, there is a TERRIBLE crackling noise coming from my suspension. A mechanic friend looked at it today. Apparently, the bolts holding the lower suspension piece/arm to the frame is loose or faulty. When you turn the wheels, you can see the piece where it connects move. Not good. Gotta get it up on a lift and have someone look at it at a shop downtown. Hopefully this is a quick and inexpensive fix versus a new axle, shocks, struts, etc. I'll keep you posted and please advise if you're able to have yours fixed. On top of this, I may have a fuel pump/filter issue as well as a problem with the AC. I have no cold air and now pressure and I tried one of those do it yourself coolant kits. My compressor comes on, pressure builds, then goes down again. I'll post on this issue as well. Also, I have a problem with a vacuum hose. It's not connected to anything. Plugged it up as a temp fix. It seems like it should go to the emmissions sensor thing (one of the 3 valves is naked on it). Does anyone have a schematic for the 2001 Escape with a V-6? Thanks.
+1
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 8:23 PM