1999 Ford Contour SVT

DEMLEONARD
  • 1999 FORD CONTOUR
My car has almost 200 thousand miles on it and recently when I turned off the engine briefly, it wouldn't restart. It is not the battery, which was just replaced, and I heard a humming noise from the engine and then a clicking when I tried to start the car. Prior to this the car had been stalling occasionally in the middle of driving, but infrequently, and otherwise was running very well. I have been told it could be the alternator or the starter: are those easy or expensive to replace? How do I find out? Thanks.
Friday, January 5th, 2007 AT 1:38 PM

INDYUKE
Both the alternator and the starter aren't terribly expensive. And though they are buried in the engine compartment, they are not horribly hard to change out. It's not too hard to test whether or not the alternator is bad. If the red "Batt" light is on constantly, that is an indication the battery is not being charged by the alternator. If you're not sure, you can always grab a electrical muli-tester and test the output at the alternator itself. Unfortunately I don't know any quick and easy tests for a starter other than to turn the key and see if it cranks smoothly, consistantly and strongly.

Does the check engine light come on? If it does, then the computer has set one or more fault codes, and if you able to scan the computer, that could give you an idea of why the car is behaving as it is. Good luck.
Friday, January 5th, 2007 AT 8:03 PM
DEMLEONARD
Neither the battery light or the check engine light is on, the battery is still working. The only sound when I try to turn the car is a clicking noise, I think it has to be the starter. Thanks so much for your suggestions.
Friday, January 5th, 2007 AT 8:16 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Take a hammer and rap on the starter while someone else cranks it, sometimes this joustles the brushes enough to get it to turn over and confirm the starter is bad.
Friday, January 5th, 2007 AT 8:18 PM