1996 FORD BRONCO 4X4

• Michael Brannon
  • 1996 Ford Bronco

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1996 Ford Bronco V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

I have taken this to my mechanic. The little motors behind the transfer case turn on and I hear a noise on the passenger side but it doesn't seem like the front tires want to pull when I engage the 4x4. What could this be? Bad hubs, they are automatic.

Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 11:36 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

If you are sure the 4wd actuator on the transfer case is working, then either the hubs are bad or there is a vacuum problem to the front differential / axle. If the hubs are bad, they will usually make a grinding sound when they slip. If you hear nothing, then check to make sure there is vacuum to the front axle. If the axle doesn't engage, it doesn't matter what the transfer case does. It won't work.

Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 6:31 AM
  • Michael Brannon

The only line I found on the front diff was the over flow line. While I was under there I turned the front drive shaft and the left axle turned but not the right. Do I just need to take it to another mech?

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 7:55 AM