Transmission Problem

• 1 POST

I have a 96' Ford Aspire 5-speed and I was cruising on the highway and I was in 2nd gear going into 3rd gear, all of a sudden with the clutch fully pressed to the floor it felt like there was no gear (no grab) in 3rd gear. I released the clutch and it was acting like it was in neutral. I had tried on numerous accounts to get it into gear however, no luck.

So I threw it into 4th gear and it was fine, then I went to shift into 5th, and the same problem as with 3rd gear occured. I got off the highway using 4th and 2nd only and pulled into a parking lot. I tested taking off with 1st gear and the same problem as with 3rd and 5th. However, 2nd, 4th, and reverse went in and out of gear just fine. Never was there grinding, or any signs of the trani or clutch (and assembly) going whatsoever.

I talked to my uncle (a mechanic) and my father (also a mechanic) and they are saying due to the circumstances it sounds VERY much like it has to do with the barings and/or clutch itself not being able to reach the upper shift gears (1st, 3rd, and 5th) probably because of the throw angles the connecting rod for the shifter has in those possitions. However 2nd, 4th, and reverse have closer, easier possitions for the shifter connecting rod to throw the gears into place.

What does this problem sound like to you? If anyone can help me out with info, advice and/or analysis it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ;)

Saturday, February 4th, 2006 AT 12:27 AM

Sounds like what you were told

Tuesday, February 7th, 2006 AT 5:02 PM