94 AEROSTAR STARTER CLICKS A FEW TIMES BEFORE STARTING

• Wardeaux
  • 1994 Ford Aerostar

I have a 94 Aerostar XL 3.0 liter passenger van with 183000. Sometimes when I try to start the van as I turn the key the engine only clicks once and doesn't turn over, if I keep trying to start (repeatedly " hit" the ignition) the van it eventually (after 3-6 atttempts) starts. I've checked the battery and replaced the starter selonoid. I've noticed that ignition switch seems loose in that the key sometimes gets " wedged" crooked inside the Chrome bezel ring and can't remove the key until I jiggle it to align the key and the bezel. Before I spend the money to replace the starter, could the iginition switch being loose have anything to do with the starter behavior " hit and miss"?
Many thanks in advance!
wardeaux

Friday, November 9th, 2007 AT 12:04 PM

• blackop555

Yes, that is highly possible, if it is loose as you say it can easily make connection for a split second then loose it.

But also do not narrow out the starter yet.

Friday, November 9th, 2007 AT 8:28 PM