Engine idles high then shuts off

RAMIRO GARZA
  • 1982 FORD F-150
My truck idle will go high then shuts off.
Saturday, August 1st, 2020 AT 3:39 AM

Hi,

What you described could be a few things. If the vehicle is being starved for fuel, it will lean the mixture and increase the RPM's then stall. If you haven't already, check to see if that is within spec. Here are the directions:

1982 Ford Truck F 150 2WD Pickup V8-302 5.0L
Fuel Pressure Test
Vehicle Power-train Management Fuel Delivery and Air Induction Fuel Pump Fuel Pressure Testing and Inspection Component Tests and General Diagnostics Fuel Pressure Test
FUEL PRESSURE TEST
PRESSURE TEST
1. Connect a suitable pressure gauge (0-15 PSI) to the carburetor end of the fuel line.

WARNING: Use care to prevent combustion of spilled fuel.

2. Start the engine (it should be able to run for over 30 seconds on the fuel in the carburetor bowl) and read the pressure after 10 seconds. If pump pressure is too low or too high install a new fuel pump.

Fuel Pump Pressure .................... 6.0-8.0 PSI

3. Reconnect fuel line at filter and install air cleaner.

______________________________________

If that isn't an issue, then check to see if you have any engine vacuum leaks. Here is a link showing how that is done:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

Let me know what you find.

Take care,
Saturday, August 1st, 2020 AT 11:23 PM

Sponsored links