Exhaust smoke

JRIVES
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
Vehicle is blowing out white smoke from the exhaust and dripping liquid as well. Added coolant and ran the truck for twenty minutes did not help. Vehicle did not overheat.
Saturday, April 7th, 2018 AT 4:13 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good evening.

White smoke is a result of burning coolant. It sounds like you have coolant coming out the tail pipe as well.

You have internal engine damage. It may be a head gasket but needs to be confirmed. A shop can do this by performing a leak down test on each cylinder to determine if a gasket has failed.

Saturday, April 7th, 2018 AT 6:22 PM
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
Or you could just remove all the sparks plugs and the one spark plug that has coolant on it is where the head gasket is blown.
Sunday, April 8th, 2018 AT 8:12 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Yes, you can check your plugs but the root cause is what you need to check. Coolant in the cylinder could also come from a bad intake gasket. That is why you need to do the leak down test.

+1
Sunday, April 8th, 2018 AT 8:22 AM
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
Master, how would a leak down test confirm an intake gasket leak? The intake valve is closed when the piston is up at TDC compression stroke, when the leak down test is performed.
You are scaring the customer saying, "You have internal engine damage." when that might not even be the case, it may just be a gasket.
+1
Sunday, April 8th, 2018 AT 8:49 AM
JRIVES
So which one would be more beneficial? Internal engine damage is not settling and from what I have looked at I am hoping it is just the head gasket.
+1
Sunday, April 8th, 2018 AT 5:50 PM
ASEMASTER6371
This is why you need to have the leak down test done. That will tell you the direction that you are going.

The leak sown test will not confirm the intake. It will confirm the head gasket. If the leak test is good then I would suggest going after the intake gasket.
Sunday, April 8th, 2018 AT 5:58 PM
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
I would start with a compression test to at least know if and which cylinder it is first. Then perhaps the leak-down test instead of having to do the leak-down test on every cylinder cause that would take more time having to place every single piston at TDC compression. It could though ending up being the intake gasket leaking the coolant. Or just remove all the spark plugs and the one with the coolant on it, start there doing the compression test and then leak-down if need be.
Make sure when you are all done, you drain that motor oil and change that filter to get all that coolant out that leaked pass the piston rings cause if left down there is will eventually wash away the motor oil on the bearings and ruin them.
Sunday, April 8th, 2018 AT 6:04 PM
JRIVES
Okay, thank you both for your input.
Sunday, April 8th, 2018 AT 6:16 PM
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
You are welcome and good luck!
Sunday, April 8th, 2018 AT 6:33 PM
JRIVES
One last thing, we have a family friend who is a mechanic but is about an hour and forty five minutes away from where I am. Would there be any further damage possible if I drove it there?
Sunday, April 8th, 2018 AT 10:30 PM
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
I do not recommend you drive it any further at all. Look into renting a tow bar, a tow rope if legal in your state or something else.
If you have to absolutely drive it, at least do an oil/filter change first to get all the coolant out of the oil pan, make sure the coolant is topped off, too and keep an eye on the temperature gauge, check engine light, etc, and any steam from under the hood, engine knocking or any sudden more white smoke out the tailpipe and drive as easy as you can.
Monday, April 9th, 2018 AT 7:43 AM

Sponsored links