Excessive fuel consumption and smoke

JBGARY
  • 1992 TOYOTA CAMRY
We are smoking out the neighborhoos, freeways and towns in our path. We are going thru an extreme amount of gas. Exhaust smells of gas. Have tried everything we know to do. To clarify: we are not using any oil, coolant, tranny fluid or other. Only gas. Also, no 'check engine' light or any other warning lights in car. The car stalls on occasion. Then sometimes it does not do this. The more intense the exceleration the more smoke. It's embarrassing, it's bad for the environment and it is a nuisance to others. Please advise. We do not have money for repairs but we'll have to figure something out. It seems something very specific due to the specific way it is performing. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you
Sunday, May 26th, 2013 AT 6:38 PM

THE CHECK ENGINE "VERIFIES" THAT THE BULB WORKS WHEN THE KEY IS "ON"?

TAKE THAT PUPPY TO A POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORE ANYWAY---THEY USUALLY CAN CHECK YOUR CODES FOR FREE. MAYBE THEY WILL FIND A CODE(S)

WRITE DOWN THE NUMBERS. THE NUMBERS. ALL OF THEM (EXAMPLE P0442."P"--"ZERO"--"FOUR"--"FOUR"--"TWO"

BRING 'EM BACK HERE. SOMETIMES THE AUTO STORE FELLERS OFFER A DIAGNOSES. LISTEN. BUT, BRING 'EM BACK HERE ANYWAY!

SHOULD YOU NEED EXPENSIVE PARTS.I CAN OFFER POSSIBLE ADVICE ON SAVING $$$ ON PARTS

YOUR TURN

Sunday, May 26th, 2013 AT 7:30 PM
JBGARY
We will certainly do as you have suggested. Tomorrow is a holiday, so if not tomorrow (we're kind of rural oregon coast) Tuesday. Thank you so much for such a quick response.
J
Sunday, May 26th, 2013 AT 10:36 PM
KEEP US POSTED

IF IT GETS OVER MY HEAD

..........I'LL GRAB ANOTHER FELLER HERE TO ASSIST

SOME OF THE INFO ON THIS GUYS QUESTION MIGHT AID YOU ALSO....SEE MY ANSWERS

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/gas-gauge-going-down-fast-after-filling

STAY ON THIS POST (YOUR POST) WHEN YOU ANSWER BACK

GOOD LUCK!
Monday, May 27th, 2013 AT 2:23 PM
JBGARY
Ok, I explored the link you included in your last email. Didn't get anything there that was relavent enough to our car problems.
So, took it to Toyota mechanic, local shop. He has been working on it for 2 days. He has eliminated the small/simple things: fuel pressure, filter.
He can't get a reading on his scanner for codes. He even brought another scanner of a friend mechanic and still, seems to be our car, can't get a reading on any codes.
He says there is some fuel in the oil. It is definitely running way rich. Wants to try changing the
temp sensor
oxygen sensor (possibly)
thermostat
could be a stuck open injector on the back bank
it is running rich on bank 2 (whatever that means)

He is quite puzzled. He has driven it and can't get it to smoke very much. Like I indicated, it is sporatic but has been much more regular lately to the point of not being drivable. We don't want a ticket. We're not paranoid type, this is seriously a problem.

OK, your turn. The mechanic is running some 'cold' tests this morning and will be calling me. Would like to hear what you think.
Thank you, Jean
Thursday, May 30th, 2013 AT 9:00 AM
LAST RIG I COULDN'T CODE WAS A TAHOE

TURNS OUT THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER HAD A PENNY IN IT. THE CIG LIGHTER BLEW IT'S FUSE. SAME CIRCUIT AS THE CONNECTOR FOR THE SCANNER. MAY BE A DIFFERENT FUSE ON YOURS

I ALSO RECENTLY HAD A CODE "P0505" SHOW UP ON THE OLE PLYMOUTH NEON. IT TOO RAN RICH AS CRAP WHEN THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. P0505 IS AN IAC PROBLEM. I REMOVED IT AND CLEANED IT, AND THE HOLE IT CAME OUT OF WITH THROTTLE BODY CLEANER AND SOME Q-TIPS.

ALL WENT WELL!

YOU MAY VERY WELL HAVE AN INJECTOR ISSUE

I THINK GETTING THE CODES WOULD AID YOU THE MOST, AS FAR A DIRECTION TO ATTACK

KEEP US POSTED

Thursday, May 30th, 2013 AT 12:32 PM