Erasing codes

ABO6DAT@GMAIL.COM
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
Hello, I really do appreciate your guys help. I have one other question that I would like to ask you. All if I unhook the ground clamp off of my battery post four about thirty minutes I think that it will erase the code that I may have. My scan-tool may not be here until seven to fourteen days. If I erase my code this way and the engine light is out after I check back should I take it four a ten to fifteen mile relearn process and if this works will this way keep the code from coming back and keep the engine light off and on? My fuel pump shut off switch how many amp fuse or relay should I look for to pull in case that my car has the wrong fuse-box cover on it?
Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 AT 9:14 AM

No it ill not erase the code and no it will not keep the code from coming back. Go to an auto parts store and have them read it they do it for free.
Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 AT 9:27 AM
ABO6DAT@GMAIL.COM
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
I will be using my first scan-tool in a a few days two erase some codes I guess that I will have a bad alternator after I fix it and I am not going two plug the alternator. I am erasing code first. Can anybody give me the full definition of freeze frame and tell me where that I can find my fuel pump shutoff switch? Or fuse and a fuse that I can pull to go back to regular brakes and if I was jump starting off of the starter. What is the proper procedure? What is the proper procedure for pulling the starter relay and using a jumper wire to start the car? What and where is the pats module on my car? Can you please reply back? Thanks.
Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 AT 2:41 PM (Merged)
STEVE W.
What are the codes? Not plugging in the alternator will just set more codes as well as make the car shut down due to low voltage, and the low voltage will likely trip the immobilizer system.

Freeze frame data is stored when the first code (some store multiple frames but not yours) turns on the light. It will tell you what the engine was doing at the moment the code was triggered, Engine rpm, transmission status, vehicle speed, fuel trims, engine temperature, vacuum, throttle position and more. To use it you need to know what the first code was, then what the parameters for setting the code are.

So say you have a code telling you that you have multiple misfires (P0300), You look at the freeze frame data and see that the code was set on a day that was 40 degrees outside, that the engine temperature was the same and that the engine was at a high idle when the code was set. With that data I would start looking for a vacuum leak, probably on or around the intake manifold because the code was set on a cold engine and showed a multiple random misfire.

Fuel pump inertia switch only trips if the car is jolted real good, it is behind the right wheel arch. Fuse 16 is the pump fuse.

Pulling fuses will not give you regular brakes, it will however set a bunch of codes and cause changes in how the transmission shifts and the engine runs. Newer ABS systems are very integrated into the vehicle controls. The power-train module will get very upset if the ABS module goes offline.

That vehicle has both passive and active anti-theft. The system is spread through the various control modules to prevent any one part from overriding the system if it is removed. Would not be much good as a theft prevention item if you could pull a fuse or remove a wire to disable it.
ABO6DAT@GMAIL.COM
Thank you for your answers can you tell me how many amp fuse that I should be looking for to pull? In case that it might have the wrong cap on the fuse-box?
STEVE W.
This should be the box. Fuse F1.16 (20A) powers the fuel pump through the relay.
ABO6DAT@GMAIL.COM
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
Are your answers free?
STEVE W.
Yes, You do have the option of giving a donation to the site if you feel the answer actually helped.
ABO6DAT@GMAIL.COM
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
Hello, you all I am very sorry that I do not have any money to donate to you all but I have another question that I would like to ask you all. I have my new alternator on now and the yellow hot wire I have not connected back up yet. Can I start the car now after I hook the hot wire back up without plugging the computer plug in the alternator and if I do will it do any damage to the computer or anything? I have just got through putting a new battery on it too? And can you all tell me what the red, blue and green wires are for that are on the alternator plug? I think the first one checks on voltage and on sends it back to the computer what it is charging at? Can you please help me again as soon as possible?
ABO6DAT@GMAIL.COM
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
Hello, how are doing today? Man I really appreciate you all being here I would make a donation but I just do not have it. My dad was a plumber and foreman all of his life and I ended up long distance trucking for about thirty years and I just retired about two years ago. I have one other question that I would like to ask you all about. Erasing codes. If I disconnect the ground off of the battery for about thirty minutes and use a jumper wire (someway that I seen on YouTube) to drain the capacitors and the computer is this way safe and will this way keep the codes from coming back? If I plug my computer plug in to the alternator and not power surge my new alternator and burn it up and keep the battery charged until my scan-tool gets here? I would really like to drive the car until the scan-tool gets here. Can you all reply back one more time to me please as soon as possible?
Friday, June 2nd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM (Merged)
ABO6DAT@GMAIL.COM
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
Hello, I do appreciate you all being here I have one more question that I would like for you all to help me out with. My code reader will not be here until two to four more weeks and I would like to erase my codes before it gets here. I have watched a few YouTube videos and they say that there are only two ways guaranteed to erase codes and that they are with the scan-tool and removing the hot and ground terminals off of the battery. Using a jumper wire for about five minutes with the hot and ground connected to each other not on the battery and then hook the battery backup and take the car for about a twenty to fifty mile relearn process. Could you please message me back ASAP and tell me if that I should do it or if it will work or not?
Saturday, June 10th, 2017 AT 2:49 PM (Merged)
That only works sometimes and doing that may set off the security system and car will not start.
ABO6DAT@GMAIL.COM
Hello, I thank you all very much for your answer and time. Do you all know if that I can cut the security system off first? If you do can you please send me back instructions and walk me through it slow on how to cut the security system off?