Engine runs fine at highway speed but temp spikes soon after pulling to a stop.

KEITH253
  • 2006 NISSAN HARDBODY
  • TURBO
After I had my mechanic looked at the truck, I purchased it. Driving around town I have had no problems with it. Now on my first highway trip, major problems. At highway speeds, the temp sits in the normal range. The first time I pulled over, and idled, the temperature spiked. I thought maybe because the a/c was on. Back at highway speed, the temp dropped right down again. The next time I pulled over, I turned off the a/c and fan. Temp remained ok. Next stop, same thing. Fourth stop, even with the fan off, temp spiked and car stalled. I figured it was a safety feature. Got going again, and temp dropped back down but at the next traffic stop the temp spiked and overheated. Cracked the rad and have to replace it.

Got the service history from the previous owner. Seems she must have had the same problems. The rad was fairly new. Had a cylinder skimmed due to previous warpage. Obviously from overheating.

No anti lemon law here, so the truck is mine. Gonna put a new rad in to get back home. Check the thermostat and water pump. Any other suggestions?

Is it strange that the engine runs fine at highway speed but spikes at idle? Puzzling to me.

Wednesday, November 27th, 2013 AT 11:28 AM

SATURNTECH9
Sounds like a radiator fan issue.
Wednesday, November 27th, 2013 AT 12:02 PM