Engine dies when engaged in drive or reverse from park or neutral

BLEWISJR
  • 1989 CHEVROLET CAMARO
While in open loop before computer takes over, everything operates normal, as soon as the computer takes over, it wants to kill while shifting to drive, it will start right up if it dies.I"ve replaced the tps sensor, idle air valve, temp sensor, fuel injectors, computer, but not the prom chip. And most recenty the park neutral switch, these parts have been changed over the last year, my auto Xray scanner shows park not detected in park and neutral, im sure it"s adjusted correct because it only starts in park and neutral. When I shift into drive gears or reverse scanner reads park detected, could it be the prom chip, tThats the only thing I havent replaced The engine is a 5.7 tpi. This has been ongoing for about a year now. Also the MAS air flow sensor checks ok.
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 7:57 PM

CADIEMAN
Its not the chip. Do the reverse lights work?
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 8:39 PM
BLEWISJR
I just checked, no back up lights
Saturday, September 21st, 2013 AT 9:01 AM
BLEWISJR
Correction, had blown fuse, I do have backup lights
Saturday, September 21st, 2013 AT 9:28 AM
BLEWISJR
Still no park detected in park and neutral, park detected in drive gears and reverse
Monday, September 23rd, 2013 AT 9:14 AM
CADIEMAN
U will need to check for codes so u can get a trouble tree before u can try to even try to repair the problem.
Monday, September 23rd, 2013 AT 5:33 PM
BLEWISJR
I forgot to mention in earlier responses, there was never any codes, and computer is working, this is why no has figured this problem out
Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 8:45 AM
CADIEMAN
I'm been having some problems lately. That's why I haven't got back with you. I just can't see this problem causing the stalling nor do I know what is. PLEASE ANYONE ELSE FEEL FREE TO JUMP IN THE GAME HERE SO WE CAN HELP THIS GUY! I think it's time to get my mentor and true friend involved. Please message him mike@2carpros.
Wednesday, September 25th, 2013 AT 11:05 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
Check the torque converter solenoid, it controls when the converter engages. It could also be that the torque converter has failed completely, especially if it runs fine in park and neutral fine and stalls as soon as it engages the transmission.
Thursday, September 26th, 2013 AT 2:28 PM
BLEWISJR
Thanks mike, I tested the solenoid via, real GM shop manuel, seemed to check ok on jack stands, while in overdrive 4th gear, scanner read 4th gear engaged, maybe it is the torque converter, a reseal was done back in 1998, shop installed a new converter, said it was leaking because it was out of round. Mieage then was 74881, mileage now is 102,000, it doesn"t get driven much.
Thursday, September 26th, 2013 AT 4:30 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
While on jack stands there isn't much resistance on the drive train when you put it into gear and it may not cause the same problem you are seeing when it is on the ground.
Thursday, September 26th, 2013 AT 5:12 PM
BLEWISJR
It still stalls while on stands when drive or reverse is engaged.
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 9:27 AM
2CARPROS MIKE
It really sounds like the converter is bad. Have it checked out at a transmission shop.
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 10:50 AM
Just to add, you mentioned it ran fine in open loop but not closed loop. How long since overall tune-up? Any more 02 sensors are part of a tune-up. Just for testing, if you unplug the 02 sensor and drive around the block, does it drive ok? A lot of vehicles will idle, no load in idle.

If your scanner shows live engine data, what are the fuel trims doing?
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 11:33 AM
Just a thought, does the check engine on your dash, work? If not, you won't get any codes. I've seen plenty of older vehicles where the check engine lite wouldn't even work for whatever reason. If the check engine works, then see if you can force the computer to set a code, like unplug a sensor.
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 11:50 AM
BLEWISJR
Thanks for all the feedback Mike, JDL 02 sensor was replaced, check light works, I do get a code if I pull a sensor connector off. I"ll try that test with the 02 unplugged, and check the fuel trim while running, I"m leaning toward the converter, had one other mechanic friend mention the converter, everything else is pretty much new including injectors, distributor was bad, broken wire inside. See if I can get it to trans shop to check converter, after I get the ac compressor replaced, Thanks I will keep you informed.
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 5:53 PM
Let us know what you found?
Saturday, June 27th, 2015 AT 8:10 AM