Engine cranks but wont start

DBOLANOWSKI
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
The engine will not start, it has good fuel pressure and it has spark. Engine will start with either.
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 9:46 AM

Check fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts rent it should be 60-66 psi
Here is a helpful link, www.2carpros. Com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
-1
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 12:31 PM
DBOLANOWSKI
That was the first step taken. The fuel psi is 65. It does have spark. I can get it to start with Ether then it dies out.
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 12:51 PM
Check to see if its a timing chain that jumped. Have checked fuses under hood?
-1
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 1:20 PM
DBOLANOWSKI
Timing already been checked. All fuses also checked. Note: the Initial problem was engine would not start because the fuel pump was bad. Changed pump/screen/ fuel filter. Now as good psi (65) good spark but still will not start. Starts Immediately With Ether and will continue to run if you keep spraying ether.
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 1:36 PM
Check to see if there is play in rotor. There should not be any and the gear may be worn on bottom of distributor. Check to see if the fuel injection spider is bad. On the earlier models it is recommended to replace them.
+1
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 1:58 PM
DBOLANOWSKI
Is there a way to check the spider and also could all of the injectors gone bad where none of them will inject /spray fuel? Is there a way to manually force fuel through the injectors to unclog them? I had a buddy form work that this exact same thing happened and believe it or not, I replaced the Distributor rotor and it solved the problem. Not here in my case. This has me stumped
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 2:39 PM
There is a balance test to do this, but you need a special machine to do it. Check with a local mechanic to see if he has another way, but most of time they just replace the spider. Also if this is a pancake style cap make sure it is not the cheap one as it will not allow truck to start. Let me know how that works.
+1
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 3:42 PM
DBOLANOWSKI
Thank you for your helpful suggestions
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 3:51 PM

Related Engine Not Starting Content