Electronic Vehicle information center

NATIVEPRINCESS34
  • 1997 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
  • AWD
I have replaced my EVIC (electronic vehicle information center) center three times. I have purchased new ones installed them. However, I keep having the same problem with the taillights on the unit flashing telling me the taillights are bad, but I have checked bulbs wires and fuses everything is good and working properly. I have even taken my vehicle to a dealer ship shop and had it hooked up to there diagnostic machine they found nothing as well wrong. What could be causing all three units to have the same problem? What would be my next step in diagnosing the problem with figuring out what causes the EVIC taillight censors to flash bad?
Friday, January 13th, 2017 AT 2:17 AM

STEVE W.
The EVIC tests the bulbs by reading the resistance of the filament in the bulbs. If the resistance is too low it thinks the bulbs are bad. I have seen this happen when LED's were installed in the tail lights. There is a tail lamp outage module in the left rear under the trim that sends that information up to the EVIC. It is likely where the problem is.
Friday, January 13th, 2017 AT 2:39 AM
NATIVEPRINCESS34
Hey Steve W.
Do I replace the tan brain box behind the spare tire? Or could it be something to do with all the wiring that is for the hookups for the trailer lights?
Friday, January 13th, 2017 AT 3:02 AM
NATIVEPRINCESS34
Hey Steve W.
Friday, January 13th, 2017 AT 3:05 AM
STEVE W.
Been a while since I did one so do not remember the color, but that is the right spot. If I remember correctly you can actually remove the box and connect the two connectors together. That is how the ones without the rear lamp outage module work. There is a ground wire used by that module that could have a bad connection. It is the only black wire. Maybe check to see if it is grounded good before swapping the unit. The rest of the tests for the box basically test to see if will light the indicator that is already on.
Friday, January 13th, 2017 AT 9:30 AM
NATIVEPRINCESS34
Okay, thank you Steve W. I am currently away from my boyfriend and the vehicle but I will have him take a look ASAP and get back to you with an answer.
Friday, January 13th, 2017 AT 10:07 AM
KEN
Please let me know what happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 AT 1:31 AM