Electric drain

STACY BINGHAM
  • 2007 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Car has a electrical drain of seven volts. Did standard test. Pulled fuses out and three are connected. Display, interior, and BCM. Could the culprit be the BCM?
Friday, September 30th, 2016 AT 10:43 AM

WRENCHTECH
Electrical drains are not measured in volts. Voltage is pressure, not quantity.

Here is how you measure for a parasitic drain.

You will need a digital ammeter and a jumper wire with clips on the ends to do this.
First rig any door switches so you can have a door open without triggering the interior lights and unplug the hood light. Remove one battery cable and attach the meter in series between the battery cable and battery post. Take the jumper wire and also attach it the same way. Leave the jumper wire on for at least 10 minutes to expire all the automatic timers. Now remove the jumper wire and read the meter. Anything over 50ma is too much draw. The way you locate this is to start removing fuses one at a time until the meter drops to normal level. This will be the circuit with something staying on. Determine what components are part of that circuit and check them individually until the problem is isolated.
Friday, September 30th, 2016 AT 5:08 PM
STACY BINGHAM
Yes I did that with my doom. With the bcm and the displace fuse removed I get 52 mill amps. But when I put the fuse back in I get 7.75
Tuesday, October 4th, 2016 AT 9:51 AM
WRENCHTECH
When you put it back in you are restarting all those timers again so you have to wait after plugging it in to see the real reading.
Tuesday, October 4th, 2016 AT 9:55 AM