Dually conversion

JESSESANDBERG
  • 1980 GMC TRUCK
Is it possible to convert a swd to a dwd without swapping axles? Im interested in turning my truck into a dually, is theres any adaption kits for it or could I just get bigger rims and spin one around so it doesnt interfere with the brakes.
Monday, May 27th, 2013 AT 11:22 PM

Forget it. Buy what you want. If you try to make it the truck will end up in your yard with a "For Sale As Is" sign in the window.

At a minimum you'll need the axle, four wheels, and fender flares. Then you have to consider that 1500s were never available as a dual rear wheel option. You could end up with two different bolt patterns for the wheels. If you modify any truck you will be adding a lot of weight to the rear. Do you understand what the proportioning valve does in the brake system and how it is designed specifically for the weight distribution of each vehicle? Frames are different too.

Chances are the rear brakes will be considerably larger. Besides the easy rear wheel lockup you will have, lawyers and insurance investigators love to find these kinds of modifications because they will be able to shift the blame for the crash from the other guy who ran the red light onto you because you were less able to avoid it, and they will be right.

I'm currently helping a friend in his body shop. He rebuilds smashed one and two-year-old Chrysler products. Right now he has three Dodge diesels that he's keeping for personal use. Two of them are duallies. He found out the latest one has over-size injectors, over-size turbo, and he chipped it. I've driven a Viper. This truck will give it a run for its money. His neighbors for miles around have bought his Dodge trucks for less than a third of what you'd pay for a new one. Most have less than 20,000 miles when he gets them. No Ford or Chevy will keep up to it, and he regularly drags around a three-car trailer. If you have a load you want to haul that requires dual rear wheels, you're going to be disappointed with anything you modify, including a Dodge. Get what you want; don't try to build it.
Tuesday, May 28th, 2013 AT 12:07 AM