How to get DTC readings without a scanner

RUSTY MILLER
  • 2008 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
My wife started her car in the garage backed it out of the garage and it died. The check engine light came on stayed on. All fuses look good, I cannot get my scanner to read her vehicle it keeps saying link problems. How can I get the codes without a scan tool what is the trick? Will not start.
Wednesday, December 7th, 2016 AT 10:09 AM

It may be your scanner or there is a problem with wiring/connection. check crank sensor for ohms should be around 800-1000 then check fuel pressure with a gauge. See link. you might try another scanner if a friend has one.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
Wednesday, December 7th, 2016 AT 12:26 PM
RUSTY MILLER
Thank you, I believe it is the fuel pump. No humming when key turned on.
Thursday, December 8th, 2016 AT 6:45 AM
KEN
Hey Rusty,

Yep the fuel pump is a popular fail in that car. Here is a guide to what you are in for when replacing the pump.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 12:53 PM
RUSTY MILLER
Well, two fuel pumps, MAP sensor, gas tank pressure sensor, oil pressure sensor, ignition relay, and it ran for a day. Then would not start for a week, ran for a week and now will not start again for a week now. No power to fuel pump? No one can figure it out?
Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 9:07 PM
Check the battery for condition sometimes this causes it otherwise the wiring will have to be checked to see if power is going through system also try putting dielectric grease on prongs of relay as it may be a fuse box problem with corrosion. Also oil pressure switch keeps power to pump when running so check that for connection
Saturday, March 18th, 2017 AT 6:32 AM
RUSTY MILLER
Pulled and checked every fuse, pulled and cleaned pcm connections, every connector I could reach or find.
Sunday, March 19th, 2017 AT 7:47 PM
452 ids fuel pressure sensor since the pump has been changed look for a cut wire or shorting out someplace along the harness or a bad connection it may be pinched due to the pump replacement. It may be the same thing for the 230 code and why no fuel pressure the harness may be pinched or cut as both show a short to ground/open circuit
+1
Monday, March 20th, 2017 AT 6:26 AM