Drive light and cruise control

POGO03833
  • 2001 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER
The drive light on the dashboard flickers on and off. It is a circuit board design so no lights. If cruise control is on it goes off if the light goes off. Is there something on the transmission that sends a signal to the dash to say it is in drive? Any thought on what to check?
Saturday, April 20th, 2013 AT 5:01 PM

MHPAUTOS
I think you are describing a fault code indication, go get a scan done on the engine and transmission just to be sure, start here.
Saturday, April 20th, 2013 AT 5:07 PM
FIXITDAD1
This is a cut/paste from another post. I noted that my "D" light (Drive) was flickering while I was driving. When it did that the cruise control dis-engaged. I adjusted the shift cable, the "D" light stopped flickering and cruise control is working fine. Google Toyota Electronic Transmission Checks and you should find a document with a section to "Inspect and Adjust the Shift Cable". There is a basic diagram on it. I couldn't get it to adjust using their directions so I tried this with the help of my 8 year old.

The shift cable on the Highlander is located under the battery, about an arm's length down. I removed the battery restraint to give better access for my right arm. You'll need a 12mm socket, the small version works good. Place the vehicle on a flat spot and engage emergency break. Locate the shift cable, there are two bolts. Loosen the left bolt, don't remove. Having another person (8 year old) help in the car is great. Turn on the power but don't start the car. Shift the transmission to Drive. Return to the shift cable and slightly adjust/rotate the arm until the 8 year old tells you the D light is staying lit. Tighten down the bolt. Check Park, Reverse, Neutral, etc. Lights should work OK. I couldn't get the the L light to come on but the transmission still engages. Test drive. Cost = your time. Help from the 8 year old, priceless.
Friday, November 13th, 2015 AT 7:44 PM
MHPAUTOS
8 year old's. Where would you be with out them. Good result
Sunday, November 15th, 2015 AT 12:39 PM