Dome lights will not turn off, windows and door locks not working

SROW
  • 2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
Started my car leaving the office today. Took me a while to notice my dome lights wouldn't shut off. All the lights were on, and the only way to turn them off was to turn the dial on my headlight arm to the lowest setting before shutoff. This obviously dimmed everything in the car to the minimum.

Shortly after, I realized that my automatic windows and locks were not working, and the lights on these panels were not lit up. I did not check doors beyond the driver side.

My radio was on and working fine. My car started fine. The doors lock and unlock with the fob. I drove to work this morning and did not notice this. Seemed to come out of nowhere.
Tuesday, December 18th, 2018 AT 3:25 PM

KEN

It sounds like the drivers door module is out which is common. Here are diagrams below to help you fix it. I does not say you will need to have it programmed so it should self initialize. If not it should cost about $130.00 to have it done at a shop. Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens. Cheers, Ken
Thursday, December 20th, 2018 AT 5:46 PM
SROW
Thank you, Ken!

By module, you mean the entire power switch console? If so, part 5JM60DX9AB is what I found. Would hate to buy this part, for $200.00, only to find it's not the issue. But, I guess that's the name of the game.
Friday, December 21st, 2018 AT 5:26 AM
KEN
Yep, that's why the guys in the dealer have an advantage they install the parts and then put them back if they don't work. Let me know. :)
Saturday, December 22nd, 2018 AT 12:13 PM
SROW
The issue has been resolved, by simply replacing the module. I purchased an OEM part for $55.00. Removed the door panel, replaced the unit, put'er back together and everything works just fine.

Only issue is, all but two clips broke. These were likely the original clips. I will replace these in due time. For now, the panel is on there good enough.

Thank you, Ken! You saved me some money!
Saturday, January 5th, 2019 AT 7:09 AM
KEN
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.
Saturday, January 5th, 2019 AT 11:31 AM
DEREKAW
  • 2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
So I went camping this weekend and left my front, passenger side window rolled down while I was unloading stuff from the jeep. I then went and plugged in a power converter on that side of the car so that I could fill up an air mattress. When I went to roll up the window I found it would not work. It does not make any noise at all (as if the motor were trying to work but was stuck). It was then that I found that I found more symptoms, which I will list below:

1. No power to passenger side windows (front and back)
2. No power to passenger side locks (front and back)
3. No power to passenger side mirror
4. My key fob will not longer lock and unlock the car at all (alarm on fob also does not respond)

The driver's side locks and windows do work. The key fob, however, does nothing now.

I covered up the window with a tarp and then did some research online to try and find a solution. I checked the wiring in the front door jams and it all looked fine, except on the driver's side there was a random red wire that was broken, however, I could not see any place for it to connect (i.E. There was only one end of the wire, I never saw the other end). Also, the red wire appeared to be cut rather than broken, so I do not think this is related. I checked the fuse (#12 50 AMP) and it was good, I also tested it with a volt meter and even replaced it just for kicks, no change). I also visually inspected all of the other fuses and they seemed to be fine.

In doing some research online I found that some people had similar problems and resolved it by disconnecting the battery and then connecting it again. I did so, left it disconnected for about fifteen minutes, and tried again, still nothing.

So I am at a bit of a loss here. Right now the only thing that I can think of is that it is some kind of grounding issue (although I did check the black grounding wire and it seemed to be fine), or that the window master switch on the driver's side is bad. Any advice? Or is there any other diagnosing that I can do to confirm if it is, in fact, the master switch?

Thanks in advance for your help, I appreciate it.
Saturday, January 5th, 2019 AT 11:40 AM (Merged)
Check ground near right front seat also have a mechanic scan for codes as I see in tips section there is some sort of communication problem so it may be a can bus problem that only a professional scanner can pick up.
BLAKE MOORE
  • 2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
The power windows and power door lock has gone out on the passenger side only. Occasionally I can take the negative power cable off of the battery and it will work but this is a very seldom occurance. Its only been having this problem for about a week now I had to take the battery and connect it to the power window motor to get the windows to roll back up. I rececently had it parked next to our pool and my sister and a friend managed to splash some water into the car and it has had this problem since then. Ive checked all the fuses and cant find a problem with them and ive checked most of the wiring but not all of it.
Chek for broken wires between door jamb and door also pull kick panel and see if ground wire there is loose. If still doing it have it scanned to see if module is screwing up.
MRWYLLIE
  • 2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
Power Window, Door Lock, Side Mirror Control, all inop. Was working this morning - that module is expensive, however have found some in used condition. Any ideas as to why this happened?
Which module are you referring to? Have you checked for broken wires between the door hinges?
MRWYLLIE
Just read about the wiring issue. Your website has been hacked by pop ups ads from the Sunglass hut & will not allow me access to your reply.