2002 Dodge Truck ignition switch

TTREMALY
  • 2002 DODGE TRUCK
2002 Dodge Truck Automatic

I have a 2002 dodge 150 truck. Can you tell me
how to replace the ignition switch.
Saturday, October 10th, 2009 AT 1:59 PM

CH112063
You must take off the neg batt. Term. Unplug airbag yellow wire. Remove 4 10 mm nuts behind wheel to take off airbag. DO NOT LAY ON CROTCH. Put it outside on the ground were the kids won't get near it.

Now you have the proper procedure to remove the steering wheel air bag.
I am pretty sure there are two kinds of switch setups. One requires a lock plate removal tool to remove the steering wheel, the other just needs a puller and socket (22mm) for the nut.
The switch is called a ignition switch module and cylinder assembly and you can get to it on some without taking the steering wheel off.
If tilt the tilt lever unscrews, remove upper and lower covers with t-15 long torx screwdriver and phillips. Maybe a T-20 or 25, I forget. Anyway with the covers off you will see how to remove the switch and follow the instructions. A roll pin must be tapped down and key must be removed in the run or off position, key in cylinder. It comes with instructions. You'll need a special torx with a little hole in it. Called a TTXR20A2 by snap -on or a TTXR15A2. A t-15 or 20 or 25 or 27 wiyh a hole in it. Use a regular one to find the number you need. And any sears or tool store will have the bits set-up. I am pretty sure, on a truck, the wheel must come off. But the older switches were mounted down lower on the column. A rod connected the cylinder to the switch.
DON'T STRIP THE SWITCH MOUNTING SCREWS BY TRYING THE WRONG TORX. Get a bit set up with a handle and use the exact one, apply pressure and crack them each loose. They have sealer sometimes and are hard to unscrew. OK
+1
Saturday, October 17th, 2009 AT 1:53 PM