Rattling noise

MELISSA ARMBRUST
  • DODGE STRATUS
I have a 1999 dodge stratus 127,000 miles, 2.4 dual overcam engine. My check engine light came on about a month ago.I had the dealership scan it. They said I needed to replace both my oxygen sensors.I drove it for three weeks without replacing them. Then I started hearing a loud rattling noise, only on acceleration, coming from in front of the car.I replaced both oxygen sensors but the rattling noise is still there. Please help me. This noise is driving me crazy.
Thursday, January 25th, 2007 AT 1:41 PM

BUBBA_KOSKI
Ok well I got bad news, you didnt have to change out the sensors, well not the one after the converter, the noise has nothing to do with it, so post me more info about whats going on
Friday, January 26th, 2007 AT 5:04 PM
MELISSA ARMBRUST
When I am in park theres no noise. Its when I am driving, its the loudest between 30-40mphs. When I let off the gas there is no noise. Other than the rattling the car runs great.
Friday, January 26th, 2007 AT 5:51 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Learn me somthing Bubba,
What logical makes you say she didn't need the sensor?
Friday, January 26th, 2007 AT 8:19 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Did it sound like a tinny rattle?
Friday, January 26th, 2007 AT 8:20 PM
CARUNDELL
Hey Melissa
Usually those types of noises are caused by exhaust heat shields or brackets that have rotted/rusted away. Its also possible that the internals of your catalytic converter have failed. Can you post the codes that the dealer pulled when they scanned it and we'll be able to help ya more!

Chris
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 5:00 AM
MELISSA ARMBRUST
The code was PO172 system too rich (bank 1).
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 9:19 AM
CARUNDELL
Thanks! Sorry, some more questions. Since the repairs, has the check engine light come back on? Or do you feel the repairs were successful and the light stays out. I only asked this because someone also posted here that you did not need to have the sensor(s) changed and he may have lead you astray with his jargon!

Chris
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 9:30 AM
SERVICE WRITER
When the "rattling" happens, does the performance change? Is the check engine light flash when it happens?
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 11:48 AM
CARUNDELL
Sorry Paul,
Should have been more specific. Meant this one! Hope this clarifies and calms!

Chris
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 12:57 PM
MELISSA ARMBRUST
Yes, my check engine light came back on after I had the oxygen sensors replaced. I went to auto zone they said there were no new codes. They cleared it. The light hasn't come back on yet. I have not driven it much sense I had that done. When the rattling noise starts the car seems sluggish and there is some vibration. Oher than that the car runs fine. It seems like the noise is coming from under my feet.
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 1:21 PM
SERVICE WRITER
If auto zone didn't show codes, what did they clear?
Mel-
That makes me wonder if the cat is a problem.

Chris? :
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 1:39 PM
CARUNDELL
Yeah and it may take a few (100 or so) miles to tell! Mellisa? Drive it for a while, if the light comes back on, then re-post. If not then all we have to do is try to get rid of the noise. Stll could be a converter though. Have seen plenty that are 1/2 blown out and still have good efficiency! Let us know!

Chris
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 1:50 PM
MELISSA ARMBRUST
Auto zone cleared the same code. PO172 system too rich (bank 1).
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 2:05 PM
CARUNDELL
Ok! Drive it a while and let us now!

Chris
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 2:12 PM
MELISSA ARMBRUST
My husband was looking at my car and thought the noise was coming from the EGR valve. So he replaced it. He also changed the spark plugs. I drove the car about a mile and the noise was still there. Then the check engine light came on. I took it to auto zone and had it scanned. They said it was a code for the EGR valve. They said it came on because we replaced it. They cleared it and I forgot to ask the code. On the way home the check engine light came back on and the noise got louder. Then steering wheel started shacking and it would't go passed 60mph. Then the car died on me. It took three trys to get it started again and I made it home. When I tried to start it again, it shaked, sputterd and died again. I also notice the other day when I filled my gas tank up, gas leaking somwhere around the top of the tank. I have been smelling gas for a while, before all my car problems started. Only when I filled the tank all the way. Please, someone tell me what the heck is wrong with my car.
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 10:22 PM