97 Stratus Trans problems.

STAJIMAMA
  • 1997 DODGE STRATUS

I have a 1997 Dodge Stratus 2.4l, 4 cylinder vehicle with about 150,000 miles on it. Recently I had a really bad transmission fluid leak, I got that fixed with the Pro-King trans screen kit. Now when I accelerate over 35mph my car seems to struggle like it's not shifting gears and when I take my foot off the gas it drags. My friend suggested a trans speed sensor but I would like more advice before getting this work done. I forgot to mention that when driving between 0 and 30 mph there's no problem with acclerating or dragging.
Monday, November 12th, 2007 AT 6:23 PM

JACK42
I have seen a few of those sensors go bad, sounds like a problem with 3rd gear perhaps (not sure of the shift speeds). Is the check engine light on?
Tuesday, November 13th, 2007 AT 8:13 AM
STAJIMAMA
HI,
Thanks for replying back so fast :D
Yes the check engine light is on but it's been on forever. I took it to advance auto parts and they did a diagnostic which said I needed an o2 sensor and a trans sensor. So I took it to this guy who claimed that my car doesn't have a sensor but has a computer for the trans. The computer was on the passenger side, anyway I went and bought the computer and took the old one with me so he could match it up. The guy put it on but it didn't work so he's like "you know what there's another computer that's actually attached to the the trans". No one had this "computer" so I'm back to square one. I'm thinking about possibly getting another trans put in but I don't know if it will cure the problem and I'm trying to find the best to get it done that's easy on my wallet. Thanx again. Forgot to add this I do have a new upstream o2 tried to get a downstream and the guy said it was hard to get off like welded on so I couldn't replace it.
Tuesday, November 13th, 2007 AT 4:21 PM
JACK42
Since we are going after a trans problem, you need to address the trans code.
Tuesday, November 13th, 2007 AT 5:32 PM