2003 Dodge Stratus water pump\timing belt

D1NISHADL
  • 2003 DODGE STRATUS
Hi, I noticed that my car stopped producing heat when I was stopped at a stop light. I was told it was either my radiator leaking or a problem with my water pump. I took it to a local repair shop and was told that the water pump is leaking and needs to be replaced. I was also told that my timing belt should be replaced. I looked at my history of repairs and noticed that my timing belt was changed about 2 years ago (when my mileage was at 74K. It's now at about 117K). Should I still need to have the timing belt changed since it was done so recently? Thanks!
Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009 AT 12:12 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Unless the belt is stretched or damaged then it wouldn't need replaced with just the 45k miles you put on it. With the faulty pump, it may have damaged the timing belt though and that is why the repair shop says it needs replaced as well. Since they are replacing water pump, should go ahead and replace timing belt anyway because it must be removed in process of replacing water pump
Saturday, December 26th, 2009 AT 2:30 PM