Serpentine belt bypass AC

MOTOMART
  • 2001 DODGE STRATUS
Four cylinder automatic.

Did anyone figure out how to bypass AC on 2001 Stratus? What is the length of the belt or part number?
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 8:08 AM

You need to measure for the belt length. Take that length to a parts store and they should be able to get the right size belt. Remember, with the belt off, the tensionier is fully extended. You need to have someone hold tension on it when measuring.
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 11:43 PM
MOTOMART
Thanks for your reply. It was towed into the shop where mechanic will not bother to measure it but offering AC compressor, evap. and condenser. coils replaced at $1,800.00 plus. If I can supply the belt, I might be able to convince him to install it. That is why I posted this hoping that someone know the belt number or measurement. Otherwise, we have to tow the car to another shop.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/560016_belt_1.jpg

(CHECK OUT THE ANSWER BELOW)
+10
Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 9:34 AM
Okay, I see what you want to do. I drove to my shop and looked through all the gates books only to find the vehicle was not offered without AC. Then I checked for a bypass pulley. Nothing was offered for this vehicle. I hate to say it but without the vehicle in front of me, I cannot come up with a size/length. I am really sorry. I did try, but came up with nothing.

(CHECK OUT THE ANSWER BELOW)

+4
Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 6:22 PM
MOTOMART
Joe,
This is much more than I have expected. Thanks for your effort. We called AAA and towed the car to the other shop where mechanic promised to match the belt. I will post what belt he used as soon as it is done.
Thanks again,
Martin
-2
Monday, August 16th, 2010 AT 2:48 PM
I am glad to help. Let me know how it works out for you.

-1
Monday, August 16th, 2010 AT 11:26 PM
MYOUNG29
Just had to same problem recently. The belt size is 43" 6-groove. You may have to adjust alternator positioning to get belt nice and snug. This shorter belt size can be found at most auto parts stores. I think I picked mine up for $10.00 pretty cheap considering what the alternative costs. A new compressor and OEM size belt will run hundreds more. Hope this is helpful to someone in the future!
+17
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 8:25 PM
LEOLA ELLIOTT
I have a 2002 Dodge Stratus will that same belt fit my car same engine?
+3
Thursday, June 23rd, 2016 AT 8:46 AM
BTB849
I ran into the same issue with the AC compressor locking up on me on a 2004 2.7 liter model when I was out of town with limited tools. I tried unplugging the connector wire to disengage the clutch but the inside of the compressor had already seized and would not budge.

I was able to bypass the AC compressor as shown in the diagram above on the 2.7l with a 13/16" x 43-3/4"belt. Master Pro part number K060431.
+2
Tuesday, November 21st, 2017 AT 10:37 AM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
Friday, November 24th, 2017 AT 6:31 PM