I have a 96 Dodge Ram 1500, 6 cylinder. It is a 5 speed with 86500 miles on it. My check engine light has come on and I did a basic code check using my ignition key (on, off, on, off then on) and looked up the result in my Haynes manual. The results were:
CODE 12 (Problem with battery connection. Direct battery imput to PCM disconnected within last 50 ignition key-on cycles) and CODE 43 (Peak primary circuit current not achieved with the maximum dwell time). I have no idea what these mean. I have read some of the other posts and will go to Autozone to see if they will scan it with their OBD scanner, but in the meantime, I was hoping you may be able to help. For a bit of history, I can tell you that I was very low on gas (fumes only!) When the light came on. After I filled the tank, I began driving and the truck didn't seem to want to go (in 1st gear only), so I held in the clutch and reved it up then released the clutch again and tried to proceed. I did this several times and it hesitated, lurched forward and backfired a couple times. Finally it seemed to correct itself and ran fine, however, everytime I start the engine now and try to drive, it does this. This problem happen several times last year as well, but I also had several other issues with the truck. When I finished fixing them, this problem seemed to stop. Thank you so much for your time. Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreaciated.
PS: I also had an electrical fire last year (at the same time as the other problems). The fire was a result of a faulty headlight switch and destroyed my entire wire harness under the dash and in the engine compartment (firewall end only). The dealership installed a new switch & wire harness and the insurance company paid the bill so that worked out fine but I wanted to mention that situation because I saw in several posts that people were having problems with tail lights, etc. Not working after the bulbs and fuses checked out OK. Also, there was a recall on some component involving the headlight switches that was causing the switch to short out which caused various lights to malfunction and eventually lead to an electrical fire.
have the same problem?
Thursday, December 21st, 2006 AT 10:06 AM