2006 Dodge Ram Changing compressor

TEMCLEA
  • 2006 DODGE RAM
I want to change my airconditioning compressor, what all do I need to change and are ther any specialized tools. Does system have to be flushed.
Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 8:50 AM

What's the symptom? No special tools are needed to replace the compressor, but you must understand that professionals use very expensive equipment to recover and recycle the expensive refrigerant. If you let it fly into the atmosphere, you run the risk of freezing your eyeballs as expanding and vaporizing refrigerant gets very cold. Most people wear safety glasses and a face shield for protection.

Any humidity that gets into the lines will adversely affect system performance in the short term and will lead to corroded metal parts in the long term. To remove any moisture, the system must be pumped into a vacuum before recharging with refrigerant. In a vacuum, water will boil at 77 degrees. Any water in the system will freeze when it gets to the expansion valve and cause loss of cooling until the ice melts. Then it will cool for a while until the water circulates around again. Most charging equipment includes a means of measuring the amount of refrigerant pumped into the sytem. A little overcharge won't hurt, but if enough extra refrigerant is placed in the system, cooling will take place outside the evaporator, under the hood. That doesn't help cool the passengers, and if liquid refrigerant gets into the compressor, it will be toast.

Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 11:52 AM