2005 Dodge Ram Tranny whine?

IRISH972
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
I have a whining sound coming from my truck. It sound like it's coming from under the floor where my dashboard is, so I'll assume it's the transmission? The whine changes pitch in relation to the rpm of the engine. I haven't gone fast enough in reverse, so I don't know if it makes the sound there or not. It does make the whine if I'm in park and raise the rpm of the engine.

It has been doing this for a few months now. I noticed it shortly after hitting a large puddle on my street. Could water have gotten inside? If it did, would it still be there after nearly a year? I checked the level of the fluid and everything looked ok, including the color of it.

If there's anything I didn't mention, please mention it. I'll answer everything that I can.

Thanks guys!
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 5:56 AM

You menioned the sound changes with RPM's. Does it change with speed?
+2
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 7:32 AM
IRISH972
If I were to drive down the road at 30mph and let off the gas, the pitch of the whine would drop. If I were to put the truck into neutral and fan the throttle while in motion, the pitch would also rise and fall with the revs.
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 7:55 AM
Based on that, I would say it deals with a bearing in the front pump of the trans or the torque converter itself. If the sound (while moving in neutral) changes with engine RPM's, then it can't be in the trans itself. The gears / shafts. Stay a continous speed based on the rear axle speed. The engine spins the torque converter, flywheel, and front pump faster when it is reved.
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 3:40 PM
IRISH972
First off, thank you all for the fast responses. Had some computer troubles. But all is well now. Getting back to the whine.

I was under the hood this past weekend and it definitely sounds like its coming from the front of the engine on the passenger's side (to my untrained ear it appears to be coming from a point near the alternator?)

Very happy to hear that it doesn't sound like it's the transmission =D
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 10:29 PM
Chances are the bearings is starting to go bad in the alternator. If you remove the serp belt, the noise should stop if it is the alt. NOTE: ONLY RUN THE ENGINE A FEW SECONDS TO SEE IF THE NOISE IS GONE. IT WILL OVERHEAT WITHOUT THE BELT.
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 5:16 PM
IRISH972
Ok! Took off the serp belt and the noise did vanish.

After getting the belt back on (and with the engine idling) I climbed back up into the engine compartment. I had my face directly over the alternator. If I moved my head to the left I could hear the whine in my right ear, if I moved to the right I could hear it in my left. I changed the angle of my head and the sound still seemed to be coming from either the alternator. Or something in the direct vicinity. (When the belt was off I did spin each of the idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley. And the lower idler did not seem to spin as freely as I thought it should have)

With this in mind, my plan is to replace all 3 pulleys before going after the alternator.

Looking online I see the pulleys I need in both poly and metal. Is there any advantage to using one over the other?

Thank you for your guidance!
-Brian
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 9:29 PM
I'm old school. I like using steel parts, but that is me. As far as replacing them, here is what I would recommend. Before replacing them, remove the belt, remove the alt and have it bench tested at the local parts store. They will put a load on the alternator to see if it is working and spin it fast enough to see if that is where the noise is coming from. I hate to see you go to the trouble and cost of replacing the tensionier and idler pulleys. That is just a suggestion.

Let me know how things work out for you.

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 3:21 AM