2005 Dodge Ram overheating

MDBROWN6208
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
Engine overheats on uphill grades. Changed thermostat and purged radiator and engine. Normal temp on flat roads.
Saturday, April 10th, 2010 AT 11:39 PM

If it only happens on up hill grades, are you sure the radiator was clean enough when you flushed it? Did any of the tubes inside looked plugged?

Also, do you hear any pinging from the valves under a load and is the fan clutch working properly?

Let me know.

Monday, April 12th, 2010 AT 12:28 PM
MDBROWN6208
That is one of my concerns, even when the temp hand is reading hot or in the red, the radiator is cool enough to touch, even after it was plugged. I don't hear any pinging. I haven't checked the fan clutch.
Monday, April 12th, 2010 AT 9:59 PM
What I suggest is to replace the temperature sending unit. Based on your description, it doesn't sound like it is actually overheating. You may just have a bad sensor.

Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 6:56 AM
MDBROWN6208
I noticed when I hauled over 4,000 gross weight. It put more strain on the motor and when I checked the radiator it felt warmer then before. The coolant is low but I don't believe it is leaking. I haven't added any more. What I think is the radiator is still clogged and not letting the coolant circulate through the radiator. Let me know what you think.
Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 9:13 AM
If it is low, you should fill it. However, it could be that the radiator is still plugged. If there is a radiator shop near you, have them "rod it out".

Let me know if that helps.
Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 9:55 AM