2005 Dodge Ram My Truck Won't Start / Battery Appears to be

DIXIEBULL
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
For the past two months various Dodge Dealerships, my personal mechanic, nor I have been able to figure out why my truck experiences a problem with starting.

From personal observation if the truck sits for a while, like over night or while I'm at work and don't leave for lunch, it won't start and it sounds like the battery is dead. However the truck can be barely started if you turn the key enough.

My personal mechanic tested the battery and it wasn't dead and the computer diagnostic did not show any problems so they replaced the Ignition Switch and rewired the harness.

After 3 weeks the same problem resurfaced and I took it into the Dodge Dealership this time and their computer diagnostic said this time that the battery was dead so I replaced it, this was two days ago.

The old battery was not completly dead and was easily recharged back to 100%. I did not put it back on my truck and kept the new one.

Today my truck would not crank, again the brand new battery sounded dead and after 30 attempts my truck eventually and barely started.

Afterwards there was no problems and the truck restarts with ease.

Is this a battery drain or a computer problem?
Tuesday, May 19th, 2009 AT 8:54 PM

BLAKESFIRSTT
As far as I know there is a few things could be wrong. But I would first start with the starter, sometimes they can go bad and "drag" which will do that.I had one do exact same thing your saying. Lol. Bought new battery and everything. But it turned out to be just the starter. If I had to bet that would be what I bet on is replace the starter. Please let me know if that was prob.
Wednesday, May 20th, 2009 AT 10:38 AM
DIXIEBULL
Its not the starter.

Just bought a brand new one from Auto Zone ($238.00 bucks) we installed it at home, very easy to install, went to crank the engine and it did not turn over. Checked the installation, everything was connected and still nothing.

Took off the new starter and put the old one back on, still would not turn over, eventually after 30-40 attempts it eventually turned over and ran. We did not play with any cables or anything, just started when it felt like it.

Thus it is not one of the following mechanical issues:
(1). Ignition Switch
(2). Wire Harness (Connects to back of Ignition Switch)
(3). Battery
(4). Starter
(5). Battery Drain (Something running when truck is off)
(6). Oil Grade
(7). Fuel Pump
(8 ). Fuel Sensor
(9). Battery Cable

What else could it be, at this point I'm desperate. I will be able to return the starter and get a full refund but I'm being bled dry by this problem.

Something prevents the starter from turning over the engine and its not mechanical and has to be something electronic in nature.
Thursday, May 21st, 2009 AT 9:11 AM
BLAKESFIRSTT
Ok. Let me ask if the battery is charged will it start right away after that? And have you had the alternator tested yet? I'm not as familier with the 2005 so there might be something in between the starter and the ignition (like a inline fuse) thats going bad. And I would maybe try replacing the ground wire from the battery. At least check it on both ends and if looks bad then would replace it for sure. If looks ok would then clean the connections up good.
Thursday, May 21st, 2009 AT 9:29 AM
DIXIEBULL
The battery is fully charged and checks out fine, we even hooked up a second battery and it still would not start. The ground wires, battery cables, battery water level, connections and so on are all perfect as can be.

The battery in the truck right now is a brand new Interstate Battery that is less then a week old.

Also all of the fuses and relays in the black box are working fine.

Something prevents the starter from turning over the truck. Could this be a computer issue?

A
Thursday, May 21st, 2009 AT 9:36 AM
BLAKESFIRSTT
Is your truck a auto or a stick shift? IF it is a stick shift there is a thing on the clutch that will make it so there is no way can start if not pressed in and that could be going bad. And do you have the auto alarm that if the card isnt in the slot wont be able to start.I used to have one of those and the connections would get dirty and prevent me from starting also. If you do have one then pull out the card and clean it with eraser (like we used to on our electric race tracks) As far as a computer thing. Im not sure if it would be or not. Wish I had my book with me but it is at fathers house right now. Will try to get it later. But I would check those things out first. Some automatics have the switch on the break peddle, makes it so wont start without break being pressed in.
Thursday, May 21st, 2009 AT 9:47 AM
DIXIEBULL
My truck is an automatic and does not have an alarm. Next time it acts up I will try the brake thing.
Thursday, May 21st, 2009 AT 9:55 AM