2002 Dodge Ram overheating

MISSE
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
On my truck I recently had the timing chain cover gasket changed, since then it runs hot when idling while driving, it runs cool when under normal driving conditions above 55mph. I put a new water pump, radiator, new fan clutch, no lights come on it staying hot about 295 degrees, I have put 3 new thermostats for 195 degrees as required for the 360 engine, still runs hot. If you let it run without driving it at all the temp will not rise until after an hour, u hit the gas petal a lil an the temp goes down. What would else could be the problem here? I'm at my wits end on this.
Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 2:22 PM

Is the clutch fan working when it is at an idle?
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 8:58 AM
MISSE
Yes, even put a new one on it. Could something have happened to the timing chain itself when the gasket was changed? It is not running the best but my spark plugs are fine. Would a blown head gasket cause this? There is no white smoke or water in the oil.
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 6:03 PM
They really had no reason to touch the timing chain, so I will say no to that. As far as a head gasket, if there is no smoke, no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, the only way to check is by performing a compression test, but I questions that too.

I have to ask a crazy question. When it overheats, do you hear the coolant boiling or is it ever forced out of the radiator? If not, I'm questioning the temp sending unit. There may be too much resistance being created and it's telling you the engine is hotter than it really is.

Let me know.

Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 7:04 PM
MISSE
Only one time I heard it boiling in the top hose, so I put a pressure release cap on it so I could let the pressure off, the bottom hose was about 65 degrees and the top hose was around 90, I thought maybe one of the ports was blocked, back to the other thing antifreeze did go into the overflo jug and run out when the engine cooled it sucked it back out sometime, i'm already on the sending units, and a new temp gauge, I can let my truck idle for an hour and never get flow thru the radiator, then the temp warms up an I tap the gas pedal and it cools down, the temp gauge fluctuates back an fourth, none of this happened until that gasket was changed, my truck has never ran hot, nor has it ever had a bad miss in it. Thankyou for workin with me here.
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 6:09 AM
Are you sure t-stat is in the right way? What I suggest at this point is to rent or borrow a temp gauge that you place in the top of the radiator to see if the temp is getting as high as you think it is. I really feel the sending unit is the problem. With the engine cold, open the radiator cap, place the thermometer in the coolant and allow the engine to warm up. Then you will know exactly the temp of the coolant and if the gauge is correct.

Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 7:12 AM
MISSE
Ok thankyou I will do that and get back with you. Appreciate it.
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 7:23 AM
MISSE
Ok thankyou I will do that and get back with you.
Appreciate it.[/Quote:d69f3b47a4]
Well after a day long of messin with my truck, I figured it out, you might wanna grab a seat cause you ain't gonna believe what it was. My truck is designed to run on a certain kind of antifreeze, I have always put in it the pink kind, or 50/50, after the timing chain cover gasket was changed the garage that actually changed it put back in it the full strength prestone antifreeze, and dumb me never even thought twice about it until today, flushed it out completely and added the 50/50 it is under normal operating temp, the sending unit is good as was it before and my truck is running like a brand new one. I just wanna say thanks for your input and all ur advice, so from here on out I will do all my work as I have done before and never intend to take it back to a garage again, I messed up a good thing just because I was to lazy to do a 3.5 hour job. Thanks a million, really appreciated your time and advice. Misse
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 10:03 PM