2002 Dodge Ram Does this seem correct?

DADEMBK
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
I just got a call from the repair shop. They say my truck needs, condenser, condenser fan, evaporator, drier, and orfice tube. Seems like a lot of stuff.

Earlier this week, the air began getting warm if sitting for a period of time. If I drive down the road, its as cold as ever. All fan speeds work. I can see the clutch engage and disengage. The list just seems like everything in the system except the compressor/clutch stuff.

Is this normal for all this to need replacment at once?

Thanks for the advice,
Dadembk
Saturday, June 20th, 2009 AT 9:35 AM

DADEMBK
No wonder the auto repair industry is such a mistrusted one. I actually need a condensor fan. The shop wants to install a complete condensor assembly including the fan, costs more, but also breaks the seal on the system, thus other pieces need replacement. When I told them I found a condensor fan only, they began back tracking on the quote, $854 original down to $350. What losers?

I understand marking up parts, most business usually use a %, these guys apparently simply use 2x the actual cost. If they had given me the low cost option along with their recommended repair I would probably trust them. But now they are going to get the $35 system check only.

Trust is freely given. But worth much more than most can pay.
Saturday, June 20th, 2009 AT 10:32 AM
MERLIN2021
If the condenser was not leaking, did they explain why they wanted to replace it? 2X markup on parts IS NOT unusal though. If it fails, they need to replace it free, and do the job twice. If the condenser fins are clogged with road grime and dead bugs, you'll need to clean it out with compressed air.
Saturday, June 20th, 2009 AT 7:12 PM
DADEMBK
Thanks for your help.

It was helpful to have them preform the diagnostics. I bought a condensor fan and installed myself. $90 for the fan, approx 1 hour time, actually less but I'm rounding up to give them some credit. Went ahead and topped off the freon, it was within the green range, but to the low side. About half a can for good measure.

This forum is very helpful, I wish I had found it earlier. I will return for future assitance. I have no problem paying up front for advice if sound.

Dadembk
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 6:24 PM