2001 Dodge Ram Wipers, washers and stereo contorls on the S

PAXTONS
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
2001 Dodge Ram 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150k miles

I've successfully replaced the multi-function switch to fix a high beam problem. Within another couple of weeks the wipers and washers (also in the multi-function switch) stopped working. So I ordered another multi-function switch and put it in today but the wipers and washer still don't work. I guess it's something else. I also noted (or just discovered) the stereo controls on the steering wheel no longer work. This could also be just coincidence since I don't use that that often. I've looked for a fuse that might be in common but found nothing. Can anyone give me an idea where to look and what to check next? We expect a storm on Tuesday this week and the wipers are the priority as I hate to drive the little car.

Thanks,
Sky
Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 9:14 PM

AS far as the wipers, since you lost the CC also and the wiring goes through the steering, my guess is that something was worked loose or disconnected in the column while you were working. When you take it apart, check for loose or damaged wiring.

Let me know what you find.

Sunday, April 18th, 2010 AT 10:14 PM
PAXTONS
Okay, took it back apart and there doesn't seem to be any loose or otherwise obvious bad connections. I can't be sure when the stereo controls went so that might not be related. The wipers and the wiper washers went at the same time for sure. Is there a fuse or relay in common to those two?
Monday, April 19th, 2010 AT 5:17 PM
I believe the wipers and the washer are on the same fuse and the same switch.
Monday, April 19th, 2010 AT 8:25 PM
PAXTONS
Would you know how to locate the fuse? Is there a relay also in this circuit? If so do you know which one or where it is located?

The "switch" is the multi-function switch I replaced to solve the problem with the high beams and why I thought I had a bad switch since it was only a few days later that the wipers and washer quit working.
Tuesday, April 20th, 2010 AT 11:02 PM
Do you have an owner's manual for the vehicle?
Wednesday, April 21st, 2010 AT 7:52 AM
PAXTONS
I should have an owners manual but it's been misplaced over the years (not lost I'll find when I don't need it).

I didn't want to buy a Chiltons just for a dumb fuse or relay. The lid of the fuse box out under the hood only shows a wiper motor relay and I swapped that with the horn relay (Same number on them) and I didn't need to swap them back as the horn works with either relay.

Any other ideas on how to fix this?
Friday, April 23rd, 2010 AT 4:53 PM
I checked mitchel, cjrysler web sites. And can't find a picture of the fuses other than the power distribution box circuits and fuses which are no help.
Friday, April 23rd, 2010 AT 9:10 PM
PAXTONS
Well I just went down to Auto Zone and bought a manual ($19) since I thought I was heading for a wiper motor replacement. It seemed easy enough and I was going to do the meter test on mine before I went down to U-pull-it. The manual said to check the fuse "and" the relay and gave pictures of "both". I never knew I had a fuse box in the cab just the one obvious one out under the hood they call the "power distribution box". Well 79 cents and a trip back to Auto Zone later and I have wipers again.

I went to put the manual on the book shelf in my shop and I found the Owners manual too.
Friday, April 23rd, 2010 AT 10:54 PM
I am so sorry. I assumed you knew there was a fuse box in the vehicle. That was the one I was trying to find pictures of online for you with no luck.

Regardless, I'm glad you got it fixed. I'm sure the manual will help in the future. And as far as the owner's manual, you have the same luck as I do. I always find things after I no longer need them.

Take care of yourself, and let us know if you have questions in the future.

Saturday, April 24th, 2010 AT 10:46 PM