TRANSFER CASE

2001 Dodge Ram

rsurewood

September, 6, 2009 AT 1:20 AM

2001 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I believe we may have been sold a Ram with the incorrect case in it and now have several cracks in it. Every place I have looked has a different number for the replacement than what is installed now and I think that could be whyn it is cracked now because it was installed improperly right from the start.

4 Wheel Drive

1 ANSWER

caradiodoc

September, 7, 2009 AT 2:45 AM

There's all kinds of numbers for parts like this. Do you really think Chrysler built hundreds of thousands of trucks, but found one wrong unit somewhere and decided to put it into one truck?

Every time there is an improvement made in the design or with beefed up internal parts, it gets a new part number. A rebuilt / remanufactured unit has a different part number than a new one too.

Some transfer cases are heavier duty for bigger trucks. They will work fine in lighter trucks. Some shops only stock these heavier ones so they don't have to stock so many different part numbers.

You might also be looking at a casting number on your unit, which looks like a part number, but really isn't one. Part numbers for everything from brake pads to turn signal switches change all the time. Instead of worrying about part numbers, simply order a transfer case according to the application.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions