2001 Dodge Ram more stopping

• 2001 DODGE RAM

Brakes problem
2001 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

I am the owner of a 2001 dodge ram 1500 "Off-Road" package with drum brakes in the rear and disc brakes in the front. My question is this. Is it possible to add a 3rd disc brake to my actual drive train? The idea is this. Pull the drive shaft and weld on a mount for the caliper to the axle. Mount the rotor and disc brake set up between the drive shaft and the pinion, then tap into the brake system somewhere (i dont know where, any help wth that would be great also). I am sure I can make it work, but dont want to be a danger on the road. What would be the potential dangers of this? Would this idea even work?Would I lose to much hydraulic pressure? This is just an idea but in my head it sounds plausible. Would that be to much pressure trying to stop the pinion itself? More questions than answers.

Friday, February 27th, 2009 AT 12:58 AM

Hi there,

Firstly I feel it would be an illegal modification to the braking system, secondly, with the sped of the tail shaft engine speed 4th gear, you would go through pads like hot knife through butter, thirdly it would have to be proportioned at a different rate to the rear brakes as well, its a good idea but best left on the drawing board I feel.

Friday, February 27th, 2009 AT 3:34 AM