2001 Dodge Ram Charging System

JUSTTAPS
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
I purchased a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.2L engine six months ago. Everything worked great the truck ran strong and was in wonderful condition with only 62000 miles on it. That was untill two wks. Ago when my engine light came on and my transmission went into "limp mode". I had the tranny checked out and it is mechanicaly sound. It seems I am having an electical problem. After installing a new alternator and battery it seems like my charging system is still not putting out what it should. I am still getting codes for the tranny solenoids and the battery is not charging can someone please help?
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 4:30 PM

BMRFIXIT
Let try 1st and the codes
scan tranny for codes
let me know what do you have for codes and will try to look them up for you
check fuses and wiring harness
-1
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 4:12 AM
JUSTTAPS
The codes I keep getting even after replacing the PCM are 0753 Solenoid Circuit, 1495 Leak Detect Pump Solenoid, 1765 Trany power relay, 1682 Charging System Voltage Low. The trany shop I took it to pin tested the harness and said it checked out. When I ordered the new PCM the tech. Guy did not give me any instructions (other than it was plug and play) for installing it. However, because I have a life time on it I called to have a new one shipped, just to be sure it was not a bad PCM. This time the person I talked to said when installing a PCM you must wait 30min to 1hr. Before hocking the battery back up. I did not do that the first time could that have caused a problem? The new PCM is on it's way.
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 11:38 AM
BMRFIXIT
DTC P1765: TRANS 12-VOLT SUPPLY RELAY CNTRL CIRCUIT
Possible Cause
The following items may be cause of concern:
Generator source circuit open.
Transmission relay control circuit open.
Transmission relay control circuit shorted to ground.
Transmission control relay wiring harness defective.
PCM defective.
Transmission control relay defective
DTC P1682: CHARGING SYSTEM VOLTAGE TOO LOW

Charging system voltage is monitored when ignition is on and engine is more than 1500 RPM for 25 seconds. DTC will be stored in Powertrain Control Module (PCM) memory if PCM regulates generator field with no detected field problems but voltage output does not increase. Possible causes for DTC to set are: defective Battery Temperature Sensor (BTS), defective PCM, or defective connectors or wiring.
DTC P0753: TRANS 3-4 SHIFT SOLENOID/TRANS RELAY CIRCUITS
Possible Cause
The following items may be area of concern:
Transmission 3-4 solenoid wiring harness defective.
3-4 shift control solenoid circuit shorted to ground.
Solenoid and harness assembly defective.
Transmission control relay output circuit open.
Transmission control relay output circuit shorted to ground.
PCM defective.
DTC P1765 is set.
3-4 shift control solenoid circuit open or shorted to voltage

DTC P1495: LEAK DETECTION PUMP SOLENOID CIRCUIT

Leak Detection Pump (LDP) solenoid operation is monitored when ignition is on and battery voltage is more than 10.4 volts. DTC will be stored in Powertrain Control Module (PCM) if state of LDP solenoid does not match state desired by PCM. Possible causes for DTC to set are: defective LDP, defective PCM, or defective connectors or wiring.

I do not believe so
if the PCM defective sure not because you did not wait 30min to reconnect the battery
if you still coming up with the same codes PCM over and over
time to look in to the wiring harness round and ground
let me know
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 7:56 PM
JUSTTAPS
Okay where is the 12-volt relay cntrl circuit located? I have tried everything new PCM, Alternator, battery, battery temp. Sensor. I have it in an Electrical shop right now, they can't find anything! Battery is still not being charged, still getting the same trans. Codes, and trans. Is still in limp mode. Should I cut my losses and run?

justtaps
Friday, July 17th, 2009 AT 10:25 AM