2001 Dodge Ram

SHANNONE21
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
Hello, I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.2L. It starts fine drives fine; however, in park the engine idles up and down from around 700 rpm to 1200 rpm and is worse at cold start. When it warms up it often stops; however, occasionally will do it after driving distantly and restarting. There are no engine lights on, and we tested the computer with my Actron OBD 2 pocketscan tester whith indicated no codes, and the three - key turn indicats "PDONE", furthermore, there are no dash or engine lights on. Can anyone help me with this?
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 8:58 AM

It sounds like either a bad throttle position sensor or idle air control valve. Have you checked them?
Sunday, September 5th, 2010 AT 11:39 PM
SHANNONE21
No. How do you check them? Can a sensor be bad if theres no engine light on?
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 3:12 AM
SHANNONE21
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 3:21 AM
Here is what I need you to try. Disconnect the IAC when the engine is idleing. The engine should die. If it doesn't, that is bad. As far as the TPS, with the engine running, disconect it. THere shouldn't be a change until you try to rev the engine. Then it should cough and not want to rev.

As far as codes, yes it should have set one. However, it doesn't always happen. Honestly, my first guess is the IAC. You may be able to get away with removing and cleaning it.

Let me know what you find.
Monday, September 6th, 2010 AT 8:20 PM
SHANNONE21
The "TPC" is clearly good because the engine became very hesitant and bogged down when I pressed the throttle, and the check engine light came on. I then cleared that code and the check engine light went off.

I then started over with checking the "IACV" and when I unplugged it, the engine continued running with no changes whatsoever, and no check engine light came on, so I pulled the "IACV" and cleaned it as well as the "IACV" bore, which had a lot of carbon build-up. Upon reinstalling the " IACV" I then started the engine and unplugged the "IACV" again, and let it run for several minutes, and upon killing the engine and restarting it, the check engine light came on; however, again there was clearly no change in the engines operation. I again cleared the computer, re-plugged the "IACV" and started the engine, at which time the check engine light was off and it stayed off. So, I suspected the "IACV" was bad as you suggested, and I ordered one. Upon receipt of the new "IACV" in a few days, and getting it installed, I will let you know how it does. I appreciate your assistance and hopefully this works because I just purchased this truck and got a great deal on it; however, I really can't afford putting much more money into it anytime soon. Thanks again, Shannon.
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 3:25 AM
It should have killed the engine when disconnected.

Let me know what you find.

Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 7:35 AM
SHANNONE21
Joe, the tps and the iacv was bad. The tps was making the transmission shift in and out of gear.
Sunday, September 19th, 2010 AT 4:54 PM
Is it working properly now?
Monday, September 20th, 2010 AT 11:02 PM
SHANNONE21
Yes the truck runs great. The TPS was most of the problem. Thank you for all your help

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/490808_s_063_1.jpg

Thursday, September 23rd, 2010 AT 12:34 AM
Nice truck. I'm glad it helped. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Saturday, September 25th, 2010 AT 12:24 AM