Brake line diagram

SHSGEEZER
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
My rear brake line rusted out right in front of the gas tank. I see that it's routed inside the frame rail next to the tank. Do you have to drop the tank to replace it? If you don't have flaring and bending tools, is it worth doing the job yourself? Is it a single line to the rear? Looks like it splits at a junction on the rear axle then goes to each wheel. How many hours labor would it be to have someone else do this?
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 12:16 PM

CRHOADES
Quite easy repair. I just did my Expy, and have a 95 Ram in the driveway to do. Most autostores sell ready to go tubing, with the ends on it, you just need to take the old line, at least end, in with you and the length needed. You will never be able to match the bend exactly, and you don't need to. Just keep the routing of the new line out of the way of moving parts. Use a line wrench to get the old line ends off, and you will need to bleed the effected wheels brakes. Took me 25 minutes after I got the parts. I had metric bubble flare ends, and believe they cost a little more, and spent 24 bucks inc, the new brake fluid.

Oh, and use a wrench of some type to get ahold of that block, or you will snap the other lines, and the block off the frame. I cut my line first, and then just took off the end and the 2 inches that remained.
+1
Sunday, August 17th, 2008 AT 10:10 AM
KEN
You do not need to remove the fuel tank

Special bending tools are needed to avoid kinking or twisting of metal brake tubes. Special flaring tools are needed to make a double inverted flare or ISO flare.

DOUBLE INVERTED FLARING
Cut off damaged tube with Tubing Cutter.
Ream cut edges of tubing to ensure proper flare.
Install replacement tube nut on the tube.
Insert tube in flaring tool.
Place gauge form over the end of the tube.
Push tubing through flaring tool jaws until tube contacts recessed notch in gauge that matches tube diameter.
Tighten the tool bar on the tube.
Cutting And Flaring Of Brake Fluid Tubing

Insert plug on gauge in the tube. Then swing compression disc over gauge and center tapered flaring screw in recess of compression disc.
Tighten tool handle until plug gauge is squarely seated on jaws of flaring tool. This will start the inverted flare.
Remove the plug gauge and complete the inverted flare.
IS0 FLARING
To make a ISO flare use Snap-On Flaring Tool TFM-428 or equivalent.

Remove any burrs from the inside of the tube.
Install tube nut on the tube.

Position the tube in the flaring tool flush with the top of the tool bar. Then tighten the tool bar on the tube.
Install the correct size adapter on the flaring tool yoke screw.
Lubricate the adapter.
Align the adapter and yoke screw over the tube.
Turn the yoke screw in until the adapter is squarely seated on the tool bar.
+1
Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 1:49 PM