1999 Dodge Ram Heat is not sufficient enough

ALLTHUMBS21
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
In this cold that we are having now in the northeast and even on a little warmer days it seems that when I m idling this truck or even @ a full 65 mph down the highway I am not getting siuffcient heat out of the heater core. However when istiopped in neutral and revving the engine with it at a good running temperature I m not getting suffcient heat out of the heater core having the time to have it look at I took it to a local garage and they replace the fan clutch assembly and the thermistat. This however did not fix the problem. I was wondering if there was a valve that controled the temperature of of the heater control panel that could be the problem. If there is where is this valve and how hard is it to get too? And how do I test to see if this is what the problem is or move on to what ever is next.
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 9:03 PM

If there is a heater valve, it will be on one of the heater core hoses. What I need you to check is this. With the engine hot and running turn the heater on high and feel both heater core hoses. Are they both hot? Also, is the coolant full and the engine running at a normal operating temp?

Let me know what you find.

Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 9:00 PM
ALLTHUMBS21
Both heater hosesw are hot the ebgine is at normal operating temp. When I rev the engine the nlower blows hotter air Im thinking that is could be the air control valve under the dash it seems that the air control vent is not closeing alll the way to allow the hot air to rune throught the heater.
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 9:33 PM
I think you're right. Check the blend door near the heater core to make sure there are no obstructions.
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 7:39 AM