1999 Dodge Ram Flooding out while driving

SLYHOG22056
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
1999 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 189k miles

1999 dodge ram 1500 5.9 automatic, I can be driving along and suddenly the engine starts flooding out and backfiring through the intake. Have to pump the accelerator and downshift manually to keep it going. This happens at any speed and more prevalent when motor is under load in higher gears or cruise. But also happens during idling.
Only happens after warm up to operating temperature, no codes are ever thrown into PCM, fuel injectors have been swapped out fuel pressure remains at manufacturers recomended pressures even during flooding. Entire exhaust and 02 sensors, compression test has been ran, PCM swapped out with a known good one, all throttle sensors changed.
I have had it into chrysler techs 4 times during the last 2 months and no one seems to be able to find the problem
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:03 PM

BMRFIXIT
Check if it California or federal emission and if have the correct O2 sensors installed to the application
try running it with the O2 sensors disconnected
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:26 PM
SLYHOG22056
Not california vehicle, dodge has tried mopar and aftermarket o2 sensors and nothing changed, when I first bought this truck the sensors had been disconnected and cat gutted, and it was doing it then.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:41 PM
BMRFIXIT
Sorry and I feel your pain
all you described related to a bad O2 sensor and or coolant temp sensor
check wiring harness, over the bell housing and by the firewall check grounds
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:58 PM
SLYHOG22056
Last weekend I went up to dodge and helped completely rewire both o2 sensors from the pcm to sensor and from the relay block to the sensors. Then retried both factory and aftermarket sensors. Still no change. I have been out trying to mount a fuel pressure gauge in a place I can watch it while driving and see if anything happens, I might have pressure but no flow. The coolant sensor agrees with the High dollar tool dodge uses to flash PCM's Dont know where else to look without spending another $125 for regulator and maybe $250 for fuel pump. I am a mechanic and know my way around cars but definetly despise electronically controlled vehicles
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 8:15 PM
BMRFIXIT
Try and tape it to the windshield
i like to know the end result
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 10:22 PM
SLYHOG22056
Well been through a lot and still have the problem, fuel pressures are alright new pcm and still the iac valve opens while driving along and at idle. It has spent the last month and a half at 4 different dodge dealerships and no cures yet, I am open to anything right now. The entire emissions system has been changed, o2 sensors, purge valve, catalitic converter, all the sensors on the throttle body, all the sensors for crank position, rebuilt injectors, Help!
+1
Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 2:56 AM