1999 Dodge Ram bad sensor?

JAMES5151
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
1999 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

when my truck looses connection or the battery dies after I charge the battery or get the connection back it will only crank and not fire up. Is it a bad sensor or something? It just seems like its tripping something and eventually it will start after messing around with it for a while.
Wednesday, May 20th, 2009 AT 5:18 PM

Has the check engine light come on? Have you checked fuel pump pressure? Also, does the battery go dead from trying to start it or does it die overnight? Did you make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight? Make sure the ground to the engine block is clean and tight and the battery cables are not damaged.

Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 1:22 PM
JAMES5151
The reason it was happening at first was because the positive terminal was worn out. I put new ones on and cleaned the ends of the positive and negative wires and it hasnt gave me a problem at all. But After I did all the I ended up leaving my lights on for a few hours and the battery died. And same thing I tried jumping it and it would just crank and not fire up. Then the next morning I jumped it again and after a few mins it finally fired up. Its like when I loose the connection or battery dies like I said it trips something. And not sure if its the fuel pump or what it is just something dosent want to work right after it happens and then eventually it will. But no check engine light isnt on. That sould be a better discription of whats going on. But evey since I replaced the terminal I havent had a problem but im sure ill still have the problem if I leave the light on or something like that and the battery dies again.
Friday, May 29th, 2009 AT 5:25 AM
I know when the battery is dead, the computer can loose its memory and take some time to relearn it.
Friday, May 29th, 2009 AT 6:53 AM
JAMES5151
Yea it makes sence. Its pretty much fixed just hope I dont leave the lights on again but it does happen every great once in a while. Well thank you very much for the reply. Talk to you next time I have a problem and cant figure it out lol. Take care
Friday, May 29th, 2009 AT 5:40 PM
Give it a try. Hopefully everything is ok now. And in the future, we'll be here if you have questions.

Saturday, May 30th, 2009 AT 1:25 PM
The engine will not idle after the battery goes dead or is disconnected. The engine computer must relearn minimum throttle. Until it does that you just have to hold the gas pedal down a quarter inch for it to start.

To relearn minimum throttle, drive at highway speed, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals. Done.

Friday, June 5th, 2009 AT 2:53 AM