1998 Dodge Ram TRANSMISSION

GMAN98
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
HI I BOUGHT A USED DODGE RAM 1500 4WD 5.9 AUTOMATIC. I NOTICED IT DOESNT ALWAYS SHIFT SMOOTH, AND AFTER A HALF HOUR OR SO ON THE HIGHWAY IT OVERHEATS AND THE LIGHT COMES ON. WHEN I STOPPED AT INTERSECTION IT WOULDNT MOVE UNTILL I REVED IT UP A COUPLE TIMES. AFTER IT COOLED DOWN. SHORT TRIPS TO THE STORE ECT. IT DOESNT OVERHEAT BUT STILL DOESNT SEEM LIKE IT SHIFTS QUITE RIGHT. SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM ON SOME OF THESE TRUCKS.
WHAT SHOULD I DO? COULD IT JUST NEED A FLUID CHANGE AND FILTER? COULD I BE THAT LUCKY. SHOULD I BRING IT TO AMMCO AND HAVE THEM SERVICE IT? ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS GARY
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 7:39 PM

BUDDYCRAIGG
Dragging brakes could cause all of the things you mentioned.

Drive around for a while and find a very slight incline.
Come to a stop and then put it in neutral.
You should start rolling.
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 8:06 PM
GMAN98
HI GUYS,
THANKS FOR PROMPT REPLY. ITS NOT THE BRAKES DRAGGING. I HAD THE TRUCK COMPLETLY GONE THROUGH AT FIRESTONE TODAY. THEY SAID THE TRANSMISSION NEEDS WORK. DOESNT SHIFT CORRECTLY, SOMETIMES SHIFTS WITH A CLUNK. HE TOLD ME WHAT HAPPENS WITH A LOT OF THOSE TRANYS IS THE TORQUE CONVERTER FINS RUST AWAY AND CLOG UP COOLANT LINES.
WHO WOULD YOU GUYS RECCOMEND I TAKE IT TO TO HAVE IT REBUILT OR WHAT EVER IT NEEDS?

THANKS GARY
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 2:26 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
**this is my personal opinion and / or experience.
I am not trying to offend anyone**

First, I would not take a transmission job to a general repair shop. Just as I would not go to an MD if I had a brain tumor.

Second, I wouldn't go to a franchise tranny shop. I often see a high turn over with the employees.

Call some parts stores that deliver to repair shops like Napa or Oreilley's and ask if they know of any small "mom and pop" shops that specialize in transmissions that have been in business for over 10 years.
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 4:20 PM