1998 Dodge Ram stalling

• 1 POST
  • 1998 DODGE RAM

1998 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 80,000 miles

when I start my truck, it usually starts up fine, but then ill start backing out of my garage and the rpms will go way down almost to the point of dying and then jump back up. When I stop the rpms will do the same thing but itll stall. As long as I keep the rpms up, it doesnt die. It doesnt act like this all the time, probably a couple of times a week, seems like its doin it more often now though. I cant decide which to do first change the fuel sock, fuel pump or maybe alternator?

Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 8:52 PM

We need to figure out if it is electrical or fuel related. You can check this now or the next time it does this pull a plug wire and insert something into the end of it and have someone try to start the car and have the metal object really close to a piece of metal on the engine and see if you are getting a good strong popping blue spark. Don't have your hands on any part of the metal! If there is no spark, then it is electrical. If you are getting good, blue popping spark then you need to get a fuel pressure check on the fuel pump to ensure it is putting out okay.

Next, please go to Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and for free they can pull the codes to the car. Most important. Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for free also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter.

Also, is your vehicle a 1500, 2500 etc? Also please provide the engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN.

Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 9:05 PM