1998 Dodge Ram Popping

PETECT
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
1998 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150k miles

I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500, 5.2 litre, automatic, 150k. The problem is under normal driving condition, the engine losses power and starts poping like a pocorn popper. It will countinue with no power and poping untill I accelerate and the tranny kicks down, all power is restored and noise is gone but will continue to re-occur. I checked the timing due to a TSB about the gear under the distributer wearing out, but it checked out fine. There are no codes stored. I almost think its a fuel delivery prob.
I read your other suggestions on popping and you guys stated fuel pump. I spent the $300 on a fuel pump modeule, changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air cleaner and ignition coil and its still doing it. Any suggestions?
Wednesday, June 18th, 2008 AT 7:32 PM

JACK42
Isit popping through the intake or exhaust? It could be a lean condition like you say, installing a manual fuel pressure gauge and driving it will be the only way to see if the pressure is good. Did you remove the distributor and inspect the gear or just check the timing?
Thursday, June 19th, 2008 AT 7:48 AM
HHEATONZ
I have the same truck same symptoms. Popping is in the exhuast. Fuel pressure remain 50lbs. --O2 voltage drops to.02. Pcm does seem to respond with more fuel. Problems are completely intermitent
new parts. Pick-up coil, cap rotor wires, intake bellypan gskt.
I'm thinking bad PCM. Looking for a way to confirm
Friday, June 20th, 2008 AT 8:51 AM
JACK42
Might just need to be flashed with an update.
Friday, June 20th, 2008 AT 11:06 AM
PETECT
The popping is definatly through the intake. I checked the timing with a gun.
Friday, June 20th, 2008 AT 3:19 PM
JACK42
Do a compression and leak down test to see if it has an intake valve that isnt sealing. Could be a broken valve spring, or bad valve
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 7:56 AM
PETECT
After spending good money after bad, and changing half the parts on my engine, it turns out that I had a bad O2 sensor. Dodge and there wisdom decided not to let the computer trip the check engine light when the sensor fails. So anyone that experiences the symptoms that I have described above, try changing your O2 sensor first.
Monday, July 14th, 2008 AT 6:47 PM
BEAT1970S
My 2001 dodge starts right up runs a little rough and runs fine one day and may stall at a light the next. When it goes to stall I put my foot into it and I get the popping noise, but not all the time. Is this the same issues you were having?
Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 6:21 PM