1998 Dodge Ram No Spark No Fuel Link Error To PCM

98_DODGE_RAM_SPORT
  • 1998 DODGE RAM

1998 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

OK, where do I start. My 98 dodge ram 1500 5.9L recently died on me. After attempting to jump start the truck the gauge lights started clicking and I could not start. It cranks fine and everything works as far as windows, wipers, lights and all accessories. I do NOT have spark to the plugs and the fuel pump does NOT turn on. I bypassed the fuel system relay and the pump does work and I get pressure to the rail but only after bypassing it. It does not prime when key goes to on position. Also, the check engine light comes on and shuts off like normal with PCM plugged in but also after I removed the PCM.

I checked the ASD relay as well as all other relays and fuses. Everything checked out good. I replace the Crank Position Sensor however still nothing. I tried 2 different OBDII scanners and both gave me a link error. I have 12v getting to the PCM and grounds seem fine. The dodge dealership diagnosed the problem as a bad ground off the battery stating it had 200 ohms resistance. I have replaced that and still nothing. I have 12v to all the relays and fuses. What could this problem be? This has been going on for 3 weeks and is causing me to lose work days. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Dustin

Monday, June 14th, 2010 AT 12:15 AM

Hi 98_Dodge_Ram_Sport, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

I want you to check for battery voltage on the coil and injectors dark green and orange wire and report back.

Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 1:13 PM
98_DODGE_RAM_SPORT

Do you want me to check with hey turned to ON position? Thanks

Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 1:16 PM

Yes sir

Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 1:21 PM
98_DODGE_RAM_SPORT

Ill check now. Standby. Thanks

Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 1:25 PM
98_DODGE_RAM_SPORT

I have no voltage at both injectors and coil.

-1
Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 1:30 PM

Check fuse no.9 10 amp in junction block right end of dash and fuse no. 6 30 amp in the PDC if both okay and the ASD tested good-there's a problem with the computer ASD relay ground control circuit

+1
Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 1:47 PM
98_DODGE_RAM_SPORT

As stated above, all fuses and relays were tested good. What is the ASD relay ground control circuit? Does that mean the PCM is bad?

Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 1:49 PM

It might come to that but do this jumper terminal 87 dark green and orange wire to terminal 30 with the red and light blue wire at the ASD relay socket this will direct power to the coil and injectors

-2
Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 1:57 PM
98_DODGE_RAM_SPORT

I jumped 87 to 30 and got 12 volts to the coil however still no spark. The fuel pump also did not prime. I bypassed the fuel pump relay for constant fuel however still nothing. There is plenty of pressure at the rail.

Ok, well the PCM I ordered arrived a few minutes ago and now the truck is running. One more question though, it has been sitting for a month and once it started I was getting a valve tick/rocker slap noise from the driver side. It has gotten much quieter as it ran however there is still a slight tap going on. Would this just be because it has not had any oil circulation in so long?

Thank you for your time.

Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 4:58 PM

It will work itself out in time. If not do an engine flush and change the oil.

Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 6:01 PM