BRAKES

1998 Dodge Ram

John Murrain

August, 5, 2009 AT 9:38 AM

Brakes problem
1998 Dodge Ram 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 207, 00 miles

I have owned dodge 4wd trucks of various years, '87, '92, '98. All of which had rear drum brakes. Anyone that has had one of these knows that the rear brakes do basically nothing, on slick or in wet grass the, the front discs will lock up and throw you into a slide while the rear just keeps doing very little.
I have adjusted them and even replace all components, and still they only work decent for a few days.
Plus they never seem to self adjust, and yes all the cables and adjusters are new.
Is there a problem with the proportioning valve or lines, that keep these from working, and does anyone know of a fix. Thanks, John

Jacobandnickolas

August, 8, 2009 AT 10:31 PM

This is a common problem that everyone seems to have. The only suggestion I can give you is after adjusting the brakes, center them by pushing the brake pedal a few times then readjust them. This may help, but honestly, the self adjusters are not that great.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer