1998 Dodge Ram

STEVE MLADY
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
Where is the fuel filter on a 318 emgine located
Thursday, October 8th, 2009 AT 6:32 PM

CH112063
The fuel filter is in line on the pressure side of the fuel system. It is near the fuel tank, mounted on the frame, you can follow the larger fuel line back from the engine, or out of the fuel tank to locate it. On every 98 318 injected truck, you must de-pressurixe the system before replacing any component in the system and use care for your eyes. I always recommend disconnecting the negative battery cable for safety. Ok Joe
Sunday, October 11th, 2009 AT 1:20 AM
JSWAIN
I thought the fuel filter on those trucks was just a sock, or mesh screen, inside the gas tank around the fuel pump?
Monday, October 19th, 2009 AT 10:39 PM
CH112063
Hello, every tank does have an initial screen to protect the pump internal parts, a screen, or sock as it is called. But unless your truck has something different, the filter is in the 5/16ths pressure line(8mm) a couple yards down toward the engine. It is a 36,000 mile change recommended. Never saw one without one because of the cost of injector and engine damage under warranty. OK It has the fittings you use a push in tool(pliers) for. OK Steve. Maybe they ran out of them and changed it. New to me. Put one on friday. Good truck. If you haven, t had pump(fuel) problems good. There were some problems with the in tank pumps, but I only see the bad ones so I would not be too concerned.
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 4:35 PM