1996 Dodge Ram power door lock inoperable

JOHNT67
  • 1996 DODGE RAM
Power lock on driver side does not work but I can hear the solenoid "running" when I hold the switch. Every now and then it will work one time, but that is a rarity.
All linkages seem to be intact.
Is there a gear or involved or just a push/pull type solenoid?
"96 dodge ram pickup 5.9L cummins diesel.
Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 AT 6:30 PM

NOMADVALUES
I have a 96 ram 1500 5.9L that would not allow me to role down the passenger window from the passenger side. I took the push switch out of the door panal by useing a flat-head screwdriver. There are two metal clips holding the plastic piece onto the panal. Once I got that out I unplugged it from the power source. I then took the switch and took the bottom piece off by holding the plastic clips away from the housing and pulling.

Once that housing is off you will see a two way system control unit. It will look like the points you may see in a distributor cap. Two of them placed side by side, but facing away from each other.

Clean all the conections. I used a thin piece of sand paper to get the grime out from where the points make thier connections. I then used a small amount of rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip to clean the sand paper off. (A small Knife will work as well). Do not bend them out of distrortion. Then I used a small pocket knife to scrape the grind off the power source that plugs into the switch. It should look copper color when cleaned.

Be carfull if you do this because you can break the plastic clips that holds the switch to the housing. If you break the clips use supper glue. It works.
+1
Friday, October 3rd, 2008 AT 8:05 PM