1996 Dodge Ram new key, cylinder and starter - now nothing

FIRSTSPARTICLE
  • 1996 DODGE RAM
1996 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Started with a broken key cup on the cylinder - I replaced it.
Then when I tried to start with the new key cylinder, I turned it and got all the lights and radio to come on.
Next, when I when and tried to turn the key to start the truck, I lost everything -
So I bought a brand new starter lock interrupter at the steering column and replaced the old one.
Still nothing -

I installed a new key lock cylinder and new starter lock interrupter and now I have lost all my dash lights, radio and my truck won't even turn over.
I have checked all pins and connectors and all looks well.
The key buzzes when the door opens with the key in the lock and I do have power to the heater fan when I turn the key on but nothing else works.
I have checked the fuses by the drivers seat and under the hood on the drivers side fender and they all appear good.
Is there any other fuse able links or maybe one that I am missing?
Tuesday, June 9th, 2009 AT 2:25 PM

Sounds like the typical symptom of burned contacts inside the ignition switch. I have no idea what a "key cup" or "starter lock interrupter" are. Those sound like GM terms.

Another common problem, when the only symptom is it won't crank, is a cracked cam on the end of the lock cylinder. The dealer has an inexpensive repair kit for that.

Thursday, June 11th, 2009 AT 1:48 AM
FIRSTSPARTICLE
I did have a broken and cracked cam on the end of the lock cylinder.
I then replaced it and tried to start while the battery was still connected. And I lost everything.

I then bought and installed an new ignition switch.
The guages, radio, and turnsignals all worked but when I tried to start the engine, I lost everything.

I think that your answer was right by saying that it has the typical symptoms of of burned contacts inside the ignition switch.

I bought another ignition switch and now I have a buzzer when I open the drivers door with the key in the igniton and the heater fan blows when I turn the key on, but still nothing else happens.

I should have disconnected the battery first I suppose.

I will disconect the battery before installing "another" new ignition switch.

Thank you for your time and patience and I appreciate all your knowledge that you share with so many.

If and when I figure out my problems, I will remember your kindness.

Thank you again
Thursday, June 11th, 2009 AT 4:48 PM
Before you spend more money on parts, do you have a test light? If so, check for voltage on the 12 gauge red wire. That circuit feeds the switch contacts that feed:

1) the starter circuit on the 18 gauge yellow wire.

2) the radio, signals, power outlet, and wipers on the 12 gauge black / white wire, (fuses 5-8).

3) automatic shutdown relay, fuel pump relay, cruise control switches, chime module or buzzer, overhead console, and message center, (fuses 9-12).

The blower fan is on a separate circuit and switch contact. The pink / black 12 gauge wire is the feed; the black / orange 12 gauge goes to the blower.

If there's no voltage on the red wire, check fuse # 3 under the hood. It's a 40 amp cartridge.

See how far you get with this info. I used a '94 truck manual. The switch is the same as on a '96, but the wire colors could be different. I'll be back later tonight.

Thursday, June 11th, 2009 AT 5:41 PM
FIRSTSPARTICLE
When I checked the fuses all looked in good working condition, but when I followed your advice, I found out that there was no voltage on the red wire, so I rechecked fuse # 3 under the hood.
It was blown and I replaced the 40 amp cartridge fuse and my truck came back to life. Varoom.

Thank you again for your time, help and knowledge and I will reciprocate ASAP.
Not having my work truck running for these last four days with this stressed economy and with my construction work so slow, it has exhaused my megar funds. Which is why I had opted to do this repair myself istead of using my regular local mechanic. I suppose that I would have been better off just taking it in but I was worried about getting my truck out after the repairs were done and not being able to pay for it.

Me and my family thank you sir.

Humbly Yours,
Timothy Sullivan
Friday, June 12th, 2009 AT 12:41 PM