1996 Dodge Ram Hey

MBAZE559
  • 1996 DODGE RAM
1996 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Ok I'm looking for the name of the plug that's on the top of my transfer case. It's a 96 dodge ram 1500. It on the top and has 4 like vacuum lines that go to it. One of the pieces broke on It and I can't find out the name of it. If they are vacuum lines could this cause my tranny to shift funny?
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 3:11 PM

Believe it or not, it's called a vacuum switch. Here is a picture of it to confirm what I am saying.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_5_48.jpg

As far as the 4wd, it will have an affect on it; however, it won't cause the transmission to shift funny. Can you explaine what is happening?

Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 12:00 AM
MBAZE559
Well first my low beams quit working. I can click the high beam but the won't stay on, I have to hold the switch to keep them on. I replaced the switch and still does it. Now the main problem was about 2-3weeks after that my tranny tweaked. It would hold out first and second then when it shifted into 3rd it would down shift back to second then shift back into 3rd. So I go get the tranny rebuild and get it all back together and the 2nd day back on the road I hit the kickdown and it goes back to tweaked mode haha. I don't know wut the heck Is going on. Bit when I put the tranny back in I noticed that vacuum plug had a piece broke off. I can care less about the 4x4, I'd rather have my truck shifting right. Everything in the tranny was replaced. You think it could be electrical? Or something?It has a warrenty on it so I'll prolly jus take it back
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 12:58 AM
I would say electrical. Most likely a bad TCM.
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 1:48 AM