TRUCK INTERMITTENTLY LOSES POWER

1995 Dodge Ram

dhyak

May, 25, 2007 AT 12:02 AM

My 1995 Dodge Truck, 1500 Ram Series with a 5.2 liter, about 160,000 miles, will intermittently every 50 miles or so of driving begin a process of loosing power as if the timing was being turned toward the retard position until the engine finally stops. There are no signs of over heating; however, when I allow the motor to cool for approximately ½ hour, the engine will run good and back on the road again.

When the engine is declining in power, I do notice a mild fuel rich smell, but no visual smoke, which doesn’t appear the fuel pump is the problem as many have suggested. I do notice back firing through the intake when I try to accelerate – kind of gives me the opinion its timing related. I took the truck to my mechanic and they found no codes or malfunctions.

Is there a suspect component either on the engine or inside the distributor that reads timing position that would be temperature sensitive if malfunctioning? Would a throttle positing component cause such unusual behavior? I’m definitely at a loss and would greatly appreciate your assistance.

May, 25, 2007 AT 1:18 AM

Could be all it needs a major tune-up-might also be the oxygen sensor, TPS, Airflow sensor and problem with fuel pressure.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i