1995 Dodge Ram Radio problems

SUPER_SPOKE1
  • 1995 DODGE RAM
Hi,
I just received the truck from a friend and was told that the radio sometimes works and then doesn't. I'd like to take a crack at fixing it without having to take to a dealer or replace if possible. Do you have any idea as to what may be going on or is a replacement going to be needed?
Sunday, September 28th, 2008 AT 3:56 PM

NOMADVALUES
When You say that the radio sometimes works and then doesn't. What do you mean? When it doesn't, is the power to the radio shut off as well. Or, is the power to the radio still there and you are not recieving sound from the speakers?

In anycase there may be a short somewhere down the line. I would pull the unit from the dash and make sure that the red and yellow positive lines to your sterio has good connection, and check the ground connections as well.

However, if you still have power to the unit but there is no sound comming from the speakers. As with my 96 Ram 1500. I ended up replacing both the speakers and wires. If I turned up the volume past 15, the speakers would shut down. I would still have power to the unit though. It turned out there was a problem in the factory speaker wiring harness.

So I directly hooked my speakers to the system bypassing the harness that came from the fasctory and all is well for me. I used the 18 gauge speaker wires.

Hope it helps.
+1
Friday, October 3rd, 2008 AT 6:41 PM
JIMSPAC
I believe I have the identical problem with my 1995 Ram 1500 4wd am/fm/cassette unit. The unit will blackout completely(no display, sound or any function) for long periods of time, like months. Occasionally, after driving for extended times there will be 1 horizontal line in the top of the display, seems to be the top of a zero, then after awhile longer the display will show 12:00. Sometimes the unit will start working for a few weeks, then back to nothing for months. I am on my 2nd unit after having the same issues with the original
+4
Monday, January 5th, 2009 AT 10:15 PM
NOMADVALUES
To me, it sounds as there may be a short in a speaker wire somewhere down the line. If the wire itself is touching metal it will shut the system sown preventing an overload (short) so you won't fry the deck. Have you put in an amp? Or EQ. If so make sure all wires are hooked up as factory dirrections indicates. You can also get a feed-back if your amp or EQ's out-put speaker wires are in reverse. Ie you may have put the (+) wire to the (-). Just something to check out. Also did you make sure your yellow and red (power on and Acc) wires were correctly wired?
Friday, January 16th, 2009 AT 8:28 AM